Sevenize.com

W3bbo

I replaced some dll with Vize 2 and run a scan with Malwarebytes, it found Write.exe in C/Windows/System32 as trojan.fakems, is it a virus or a false positive?

Edited by 1Al

• 3 weeks later...

Bump... W3bbo any updates or an ETA on Sevenize?

I'm feeling very disappointed in myself for a: not keeping you guys informed, and b: not devoting enough time to the project.

Here's my current situation. It's just words and promises, but I hope you can trust and believe in me that you will see something eventually:

* From now until next week I have to devote my life to writing my undergraduate project dissertation.

* Immediately after that I need to study and revise for my final undergraduate examinations, the actual exams run from mid-May to mid-June.

* After late-June I will be a free man. Beautiful sweet freedom I haven't felt since I finished High School. I have a great many proejcts to work on

I replaced some dll with Vize 2 and run a scan with Malwarebytes, it found Write.exe in C/Windows/System32 as trojan.fakems, is it a virus or a false positive?

If you google "trojan.fakems" you'll see that Malwarebytes frequently incorrectly identifies files as that malware.

There isn't much documentation about "trojan.fakems", so my guess is that Malwarebytes flags any system file that purports to be from Microsoft but doesn't match a "known" file, in this case xpize'd Windows files are no-longer identical to the files they should be.

On the other hand, this is the first time I've heard of this problem. It's quite possible you really are infected with malware. I personally recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over all other forms of AV (especially Norton), give it a try and see if it reports anything. It also might be worth uploading the file to various free online file scanner services (Kaspersky has one).

Edited by W3bbo

• 2 weeks later...

How will IE9 be handled?

IE9 already has Windows 7-styling, though there are still a few errant resources lying around (like the 'enable autocomplete' animation).

IE9 has a hidden 'large buttons' mode, so I'm thinking of exposing that as an option in a possible xpize settings application.

If you google "trojan.fakems" you'll see that Malwarebytes frequently incorrectly identifies files as that malware.

In effect I scanned the file with VirusTotal and Jotti Online malware scan and result 0 malware, it confirmed that's a false positive.

Thanks.

News on Sevenize?

• 1 month later...

I read that there are several problems with the development of Sevenize, but at least for the icons change of various system shells, Vize 2.0 work fine on 7, on x64 platform too. Just use the trick / ignoreCondition during installation :hello:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling very disappointed in myself for a: not keeping you guys informed, and b: not devoting enough time to the project.

Here's my current situation. It's just words and promises, but I hope you can trust and believe in me that you will see something eventually:

* From now until next week I have to devote my life to writing my undergraduate project dissertation.

* Immediately after that I need to study and revise for my final undergraduate examinations, the actual exams run from mid-May to mid-June.

* After late-June I will be a free man. Beautiful sweet freedom I haven't felt since I finished High School. I have a great many proejcts to work on

Any new updates now that your exams are over? Hopefully congratulations on passing the exams are also in order! I'm super excited about Sevenize and just curious if the major problems have been fixed yet?

• 2 months later...

Any new updates now that your exams are over? Hopefully congratulations on passing the exams are also in order! I'm super excited about Sevenize and just curious if the major problems have been fixed yet?

Hmmmm I'm beginning to wonder if this is on the Duke Nukem Forever development schedule? I know I cannot criticize something that is (possibly) free, but I would be eager to actually pay for Sevenize if it works for x64 and cleans up the various nuances; I'm sure there are others out there who would also do the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering, but how close till sevenize beta?

I'm guessing that since W3bbo has not posted on MSFN since May 26, 2011 (an XPize post) that he perhaps has abandoned this project. I'm hoping that I'm wrong because I've been following this project since Windows 7 was released.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So uhm, "hi"...

What's the current status of Windows 7 thesedays? Are many GUI fixes still needed?

I use Windows 8.0 and 8.1 a lot at work and I don't feel there is anything I can do there - all of the 2000 and XP-styled resources seem to have gone now, which is good. All that remains is the Metro environment everyone hates, but that's fixed with Stardock's utilities or the free stuff that's available, like Classic Shell / Classic Start Menu.

• 1 year later...

I just have a huge suggestion. Microsoft is planning on releasing a successor to Windows 8 called Windows 10. They are visually overhauling a ton of elements in the OS and naturally they will probably miss stuff. So maybe a "Tenize" project would be awesome. Windows 10 is in tech preview right now, you can download and install it, and send feedback directly to Windows developers. So there is that, you can sign up for free at preview.windows.com. So could we get a "Tenize" project if necessary?

Maybe you should first post the above under "news" :whistle:, and then make a poll with this:

So could we get a "Tenize" project if necessary?

in order to have W3bbo and all the members of the board directly appreciate how much this suggestion/initiative would be appreciated.

jaclaz