KernelEx and CorelDraw 9

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

The PC in question is running 98se and KEx 4.5.15. It has had CorelDraw 9 installed on it for years - probably soon after win-98 was originally installed (5 years ago) but it (coreldraw) doesn't get much use. Now I can't say for certain that Kex is interfering with Corel, but CorelDraw hasn't worked properly for several years, potentially coinciding with when I first installed Kex on this PC.

I have set the properties for coreldrw.exe to "disable KernelEx extensions" and it doesn't help. What I see is that certain dialog windows pertaining to file operations (open, save, import, export) are missing quite a few options, buttons, and drop-down lists.

When I start coreldrw without doing anything else, and then run cctask.exe (to see a process list of modules in use) I don't see "kexcom.dll" in the list. If I then bring up the "file-open" dialog window in coreldraw and then switch back to cctask and refresh the module list, that's when I see that kexcom.dll seems to be in use by coreldrw.exe. So hence my question - what is kexcom.dll and why is it attaching itself to coreldrw.exe?

My next option is to either rename kexcom.dll (so the system can't find it) or un-install kernelEx and see if normal coreldraw functionality returns.

I've re-applied two large service-packs for coreldraw, and have bulk-copied the coreldraw directory over from another hard drive to this drive (in case I have a corrupt file) but that did not change anything. My only other option is to re-install coreldraw from original media...

But in the mean time - is it possible that kexcom.dll is causing this issue?

Edit: I have un-installed KernelEx and this did not change anything (the issue remains). I have looked at the versions of all program modules (dll's) called by coreldraw and compared them against what I think are standard versions for a typical win-98 system and have come up with a short list of descrepencies which I will pose as a new question in the main win98 forum as I no longer think this is a Kex problem.

Edited by wsxedcrfv

What's wrong with Corel Draw 9?

AFAIK kexcom is the file that allows some 2K-XP only ActiveX/COM files such as for example certain DirectShow filters, shell extensions, etc... to run. It is a rather recent addition to KernelEx.

Edited by loblo

Guest wsxedcrfv

It turns out that this problem was in fact caused by an old version of Kex (3.6) which was installed in December 2008 (it modifies comdlg32.dll). According to what I can find on the net:

"comdlg32.dll is a module that contains Common dialog boxes used by Windows applications, such as the standard Open File form"

Which makes sense, given the problem I was having with various file-based operations in Coreldraw.

At some point I installed Kex 4.5.15 on top of 3.6, so perhaps comdlg32 wasn't cleaned up during that migration. After correcting the problem with comdlg32, I have installed Kex 4.5 final (last night) and so far, so good (no problems with Coreldraw).