How to keep programs up to date in WPI when the versions change often?

I update my software often and so I like to have the name of the app with the version appended to the end. For example:

VLC Media Player 1.1.0

However, I don't want to have to update this within WPI constantly :no:. Is there a way I can create a variable or something in the command string? Currently under the command tab I have:

"%root%\Media\VLC Media Player*.exe"

But placing an astrisk behind the name will cause the installer to fail as well. Any suggestions?

Edited by jadtunrau

I think I understand what you guys are saying. However, this still leaves me with the same problem. If I were to download the latest version of VLC Media Player as VLC Media Player v1.1.3.5 and just rename it as VLC Media Player, then how will I know when I need to download the latest version again if the version is not attached to the file name? I'm trying to keep all my files up to date with the latest versions before I run WPI.

But he is right, a * variable or something similar would be nice

So I take it by your response that there is no variable for this? If true, then I will have quite a bit more time trying to keep my files up to date while using WPI :} .

Me personally I use getFileVersion with the equal or greater than symbol (>=) to have WPI check if my program is installed or up to date, here are a couple examples (you have to update it every app update)

prog[pn]=['Adobe Reader X'];
uid[pn]=['ADOBEREADER'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Applications'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\AdbeRdr1000_en_US.msi" TRANSFORMS=AdobeMod.mst /qn'];
cond[pn]=['getOSlang()=="ENU"'];
gcond[pn]=['getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles%\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe")>="10.0.0.396"||getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles(x86)%\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe")>="10.0.0.396"'];
desc[pn]=['Adobe Reader'];
picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\Adobe.png"'];
picw[pn]=['0'];
pich[pn]=['0'];
textl[pn]=['Right'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['WinRAR (x64)'];
uid[pn]=['WINRAR64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\winrar-x64-393.exe" -s'];
cond[pn]=['getArch()=="AMD64"'];
gcond[pn]=['getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles%\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe")>="3.93.0.0"'];
desc[pn]=['WinRAR'];
picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\WinRAR.png"'];
picw[pn]=['0'];
pich[pn]=['0'];
textl[pn]=['Right'];
pn++;

Edited by ricktendo64

Me personally I use getFileVersion with the equal or greater than symbol (>=) to have WPI check if my program is installed or up to date, here are a couple examples (you have to update it every app update)

prog[pn]=['Adobe Reader X'];
uid[pn]=['ADOBEREADER'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\AdbeRdr1000_en_US.msi" TRANSFORMS=AdobeMod.mst /qn'];
cond[pn]=['getOSlang()=="ENU"'];
gcond[pn]=['getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles%\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe")>="10.0.0.396"||getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles(x86)%\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe")>="10.0.0.396"'];
desc[pn]=['Adobe Reader'];
picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\Adobe.png"'];
picw[pn]=['0'];
pich[pn]=['0'];
textl[pn]=['Right'];
pn++;

prog[pn]=['WinRAR (x64)'];
uid[pn]=['WINRAR64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\winrar-x64-393.exe" -s'];
cond[pn]=['getArch()=="AMD64"'];
gcond[pn]=['getFileVersion("%ProgramFiles%\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe")>="3.93.0.0"'];
desc[pn]=['WinRAR'];
picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\WinRAR.png"'];
picw[pn]=['0'];
pich[pn]=['0'];
textl[pn]=['Right'];
pn++;

What you are suggesting is a good idea for installing software on a PC that already has many programs installed. What I need WPI for is after a fresh installation of windows. For me, using the 'getFileVersion' would require more work with each update... not less. That's ok though, I'll just wait and hope for the option to install using the *.exe function.

Hi guys.

I personally use ketarin and wpi. They work v well together. E.g wpi is set to install vlc media player silently and i have this set in my installs programs folder. I have ketarin in root directory and i have it set to check every prog in my wpi install folder and if theres an update it will auto download and replace that file to keep all my installers uptodate

Hope that helps

HOW do you suggest WPI then reads the file version info?

PLEASE ANSWER...

I just started using WPI, so I wasn't sure if it was possible to use a variable to read this information. The easier way though would be using an asterisk (e.g. VLC*.exe), then it wouldn't be necessary. Great piece of software though as I can see a lot of time went into this. :thumbup

Hi guys.

I personally use ketarin and wpi. They work v well together. E.g wpi is set to install vlc media player silently and i have this set in my installs programs folder. I have ketarin in root directory and i have it set to check every prog in my wpi install folder and if theres an update it will auto download and replace that file to keep all my installers uptodate

Hope that helps

I as well have been using Ketarin, but the main drawback for me to use it with WPI is that I never know what version exactly I'm updating to. I noticed that there is an option to install directly from Ketarin - you can even setup groups similarly to WPI. I might give that a shot and see if I can do it all from one program.