Interactive Firewalls for 2000?(Eh,SOLVED,sort of)

Browncoat

I did a search:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

and don't want to do a necropost, just curious as to what people here use.

All I know of firewalls are what is on majorgeeks.

Just looking for an interactive one similar to the one in my Linux installations.

Currently using Ghostwall but it is old and not interactive, though you can see the stats on the main

dialogue and call up boxes that reveal where the pings come from but unlike the Linux one it doesn't allow a

blacklisting of IPs that do a port scanning attack.

A lot of this crap these days seem to be coming from mainland China.

Ghostwall can be a little over sensitive some times, kicking my Firefox or Thunderbird while in 2000 to

offline mode, then even the "Speed-O-Meter" utility goes and can't connect with Cymphonix ' own server,

requiring a restart.

I only ask as I recently [November] gotten into downloading the TV shows and movies I've missed. As I only have an antenna

[and two ATSC tuners] no cable or satellite and my streaming sucks, the combo I use allows for d/l'ing .avi files

instead of streaming, which I do when I sleep or go to work since both download managers will shut the computers off when done.

I've had the worst luck with BWC's patches :blushing: so much so that I've given up on WMP10 and went to using VLC media player portable, along with the rest of

the available PortableApps Suite.

Both Privatefirewall and the PC Tools Firewall Plus are listed as 2000 compatible but each time I tried [an install] I get clear-as-mud error messages about not

being able to access some library dll, [the former, one memory-like address code but my memory has been tested, each stick is good and clean ram]

so I wonder if the authors have dropped 2000 support. Therefore I have reverted to using Ghostwall instead but it does have the smallest file size of any.

NetVeda looks promising (its from 2007) and even still supports Win'98.

Anybody here use it?

Sygate has been mentioned and is in the list but is even older then Ghostwall.

majorgeeks page

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=34

Whatdaya think? Gotta work, so won't be back 'till Thursday the 30th. :)

Edited by Browncoat

I'm not sure what you mean by "interactive" firewall. On win2K, I'm still using Kerio 2.1.5. It's a straight rule based firewall that's no longer supported but runs quite well on 98 thru XP. On the older operating systems, at times you have to use older software. This older software is often unsupported, but that by no means translates into weak or vulnerable. A lot of "for XP" firewalls should run on 2K, if not the present version, then the previous one. "Firewall" is a very broad term, encompassing everything from simple packet filters to comprehensive security suites. Could you be a bit more specific regarding what you need from a firewall?

I'm not sure what you mean by "interactive" firewall. On win2K, I'm still using Kerio 2.1.5. It's a straight rule based firewall that's no longer supported but runs quite well on 98 thru XP. On the older operating systems, at times you have to use older software. This older software is often unsupported, but that by no means translates into weak or vulnerable. A lot of "for XP" firewalls should run on 2K, if not the present version, then the previous one. "Firewall" is a very broad term, encompassing everything from simple packet filters to comprehensive security suites. Could you be a bit more specific regarding what you need from a firewall?

By interactive I only meant that like the Linux firewall, one that allows me to selectively,either per session or permanently blacklist an annoying IP address. As stated before, both the one in Mandriva and

the one I use right now for W2k,Ghostwall supply stats that you can see where the various port scan attackers hail from. Mandriva's allows for setting blacklisting.

Ghostwall is just static though, you can write new rules for it but it just blocks and some times is overly aggressive by just cutting everything off, throwing your browser and email programs into offline mode and requiring

a reboot to resume. Like Kerio, GH is rule based but no longer supported. You may be right, older OS, needs older solution.

I'm going to give NetVeda a try, newer than Ghostwall but it too seems no longer supported.

For me interactive means having an app filter that controls individual apps calling out. If you have an NVIDIA mobo, then the built-in ActiveArmor firewall (hardware+software based) is darn good and a free download.