I installed 32bit Win7 on x64 CPU machine

Ivanov

Hello!

Friend of mine purchased a laptop without OS recently.

I installed on it 32bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise. Now I find out that the computer is actually 64bit... (AMD v140 CPU)... I feel myself stupid now.

I had to install 64bit, not 32bit Windows on this notebook. Is it huge mistake I did? I do not want to reinstall windows again...

Edited by Ivanov

I had to install 64bit, not 32bit Windows on this notebook. Is it huge mistake I did? I do not want to reinstall windows again...

No mistake at all. Many users run the 32 version even into new machines because this mode has a greater compatibility with old apps created for XP than the future-looking 64 mode.

Almost all existing software runs perfect under 32 bits.

In case of need, you can install the 64 bits mode of the same Windows version into a logical unit of the same HDD using the same activation key. The doubleboot screen appears at the end of the second install process.

HTH

Edited by cannie

If the laptop has less than 4GB of memory, then its sound to use 32bit.

If it`s more, your friends computer won`t be able to use more than 4GB anyway. Other than that, it won`t pose any problems for a regular user.

Hello!Friend of mine purchased a laptop without OS recently.I installed on it 32bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise. Now I find out that the computer is actually 64bit... (AMD v140 CPU)... I feel myself stupid now.I had to install 64bit, not 32bit Windows on this notebook. Is it huge mistake I did? I do not want to reinstall windows again...

No mistake at all. Many users run the 32 version even into new machines because this mode has a greater compatibility with old apps created for XP than the future-looking 64 mode.Almost all existing software runs perfect under 32 bits. In case of need, you can install the 64 bits mode of the same Windows version into a logical unit of the same HDD using the same activation key. The doubleboot screen appears at the end of the second install process.HTH

No problems here on a Intel x64 system.

The only problem is the software updates "to make it reliable"

No problems here on a Intel x64 system.

The only problem is the software updates "to make it reliable"

It is frequently impossible to find updated Windows 7 software for old devices, and IMHO that's the main reason for Microsoft to deliver a 32 bits alternative mode for each and every version of Windows 7.

Greetings.