Wireless Network Bridge

mjdbb1

I have a blu-ray player and an older-model DVR that both require an ethernet connection. Unfortunately in my new house, I can't run an ethernet cable to this location. I had the following idea and need some advice as to whether or not it could work: Obtain a network bridge such as Netgear WNHDE111. Plug both ethernet devices into that, and bridge it to my current netgear router (which is 5ghz/N ready). Does this setup sound like it will work?

I originally wanted to set up an old wireless router to do this but it seems it's not possible with some of the older models.

Any thoughts?

I am interested in the same thing, but I believe I already have a head start on the extra network hardware. The thing you need to do is use a wireless router as an Access Point. You may want to look into custom firmware for your router if it does not support that ability.

I haven't started doing anything yet myself except upgrade the router connected to the internet. I have my Win98 PC that I still want to get online using this method.

• 1 month later...

Buy this product. I can vouch for it. I have it as an AP client to a Linksys N router. I have that in the living room, uplinked to a switch; and then I plug in the media pc, and the tv (internet connected) to it, and they all pull DHCP from the original router. Works a trick, can get it all for about 35 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035

Looks deactivated now, but ebay it, or google shop for it.

• 1 year later...

Yes, that is possible. I noticed that this is an old thread, but i post an replay anyway, in case somebody else want to do this. By upgrading the firmware (if possible) in the router, you can turn the $30 router in to a $300 router. I installed the "dd-wrt" firmware in my Netgear wg602v3 (check before you buy a router/switch so they are supported by the open firmware of you selection) and removed the custom firmware installed by Viasat (a satellite company). After installation of the firmware, i could choose many different options where one of them was "wireless bridge" which gives me an extra access point in my house and the possibility to connect the AP (the Netgear wg602v3 is a access point) to a none wireless switch and make it capable to send data from the switch, wireless to the main router. This options are probably available to all supported routers.

dd-wrt compability list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Open-wrt Compability list: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start

No. I my case my Internet provider, provided me with their own adsl-modem with their own custom firmware which updates regularly. Removing it would probably cause me some trouble. So, in my case the main router (adsl-modem) is basically untouched and the Acess Point is replaced with custom firmware (dd-wrt). In order to make it work, i had some problems on the way but after a little "trial and error" i got it to work. The WPA-PSK must be the same AFAIK and you have to add a bridge in "Setup->networking"-tab.

In "Basic->Setup" you have to enter your local router ip (in this case i have 192.168.1.3, since my main router got 192.168.1.1), netmask, Gateway and local dns ip are the same as the main router.

In "Basic->Advanced routing" you have to select operation mode to "router", dynamic interface to "both", interface to "lan & wlan".

In "Basic->Networking" you have to create a bridge so you have a bridge displayed under "current bridge table", which should contain "bridgename:br0" "STP enable:no" "interfaces:eth0 eth1 wl0.1".

In "Wireless->Basic" you should have a similar look:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/_KlingKlang_/ddwrt.jpg

In "Wireless->Wireless security" you should enter the same encryption as the main router has, on both interfaces wireless "wl0" and virtual interface "wl0.1".

I think this was it.. Try and post a replay if you have succeeded.

/Regards, KlingKlang

Edited by KlingKlang