Not joining domain or accepting license key

Hi,

I'm using LANDesk Management Suite 9.0 to capture and deploy an image of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. The best practise is to install the OS, make changes to the system in Audit mode and then shutdown without generalizing the machine. LANDesk takes care of the generalize as part of the sysprep process once it's thrown the image back down.

All is working fine with the exception of the domain join and the license key.

I've attached the XML file and would be greatful if anyone can point me towards what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Unattend.txt

I would suggest that you re-create the answer file with WSIM. It is obvious you did not use WSIM to create it (there was no name space specified for example). After some modification, i was able to get WSIM to open it, however there was still an error in the XML Parser "Cannot find Windows image information in answer file." I have not seen this message before and do not know what it means. I compared it against install_Windows 7 ENTERPRISE.clg from the Sources folder.

In addition to Tripredacus comment:

replace the second line:

<unattend>

with

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

For the Enterprise version, assuming you are using KMS, you normally don't specify a product key at all, just remove the <ProductKey>ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY</ProductKey> section. If you are using MAK keys, you should use that one. The keys acts as a filter for the setup, so if the key is not correct you will get a "operating system missing" error.

As for the joindomain issue the answer looks quite ok at a first look, except for that you should not add computers to the computers container, it's only there for legacy reasons, use an OU...

Anyway. check the c:\Windows\Debug\Netsetup.log for info on why the domain join failed.

/ Johan

I would suggest that you re-create the answer file with WSIM. It is obvious you did not use WSIM to create it (there was no name space specified for example). After some modification, i was able to get WSIM to open it, however there was still an error in the XML Parser "Cannot find Windows image information in answer file." I have not seen this message before and do not know what it means. I compared it against install_Windows 7 ENTERPRISE.clg from the Sources folder.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that LANDesk removes the name space. This is specific to the product as I also have exactly the same problems when opening the XML file with WSIM. Adding the name space causes LANDesk not to recognise the XML file. The OS deployment wizard in LANDesk has a GUI that pre-populates some of the passes in XML file and I've used Notepad to make additional changes such as the LocalAccounts.

In addition to Tripredacus comment:

replace the second line:

<unattend>

with

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

For the Enterprise version, assuming you are using KMS, you normally don't specify a product key at all, just remove the <ProductKey>ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY</ProductKey> section. If you are using MAK keys, you should use that one. The keys acts as a filter for the setup, so if the key is not correct you will get a "operating system missing" error.

As for the joindomain issue the answer looks quite ok at a first look, except for that you should not add computers to the computers container, it's only there for legacy reasons, use an OU...

Anyway. check the c:\Windows\Debug\Netsetup.log for info on why the domain join failed.

/ Johan

Hi,

We don't have a KMS server set up. The image capture tool is ImageW.exe (included in LANDesk OS Deployment Suite) and it takes a sector based image of the pc. I'm thinking if I enter the key manually and activate windows and then take a capture it might work. I'll remove the product key from the XML file and try this.

Regarding joindomain, will point to an OU and check the NetSetup.log and write back.

Thanks for the advice.

Johan,

You were spot on with the MachineObjectOU. I updated the XML to point to an OU and now the machine successfully joins to the domain. Upon checking the NetSetup.log it did state that CN=Computers is not a valid OU.

Lesson learnt: Always check the logs!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I've just realised that the sysprep /generalize command is going to wipe out any key activation that may reside in the image.

I'm now setting up a KMS host based on the instructions here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793407.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fda49c1f-475e-42d0-92ae-6f7edb802f3e

Sucks that 25 unique windows 7 KMS clients need to request activation before the host starts dishing out validation success :(

I've just realised that the sysprep /generalize command is going to wipe out any key activation that may reside in the image.

When I've done these types of deployments, I've used the install key to install Windows, and not worrying that Sysprep will remove that key. Then use another XML for the sysprep /unattend which has the activation key in it. Of course you are using a deployment solution I have no experience in, so hard to translate that.

• 2 weeks later...

When I've done these types of deployments, I've used the install key to install Windows, and not worrying that Sysprep will remove that key. Then use another XML for the sysprep /unattend which has the activation key in it. Of course you are using a deployment solution I have no experience in, so hard to translate that.

Sorry, I confused installing the product key with activation. You are right the product key remains installed but the client still needs to activate with a KMS host once the machine is built. Our product key requires MAK activation so rather than configuring a KMS host, I've included the product key in the Unattend.xml file and under the <FirstLogonCommands> I'm running a slmgr /ato to activate windows.

This thread might be helpful:

Thanks, yes this was helpful. I know that Windows will automatically try to activate the MAK product key as long as the computer is connected to the internet.

Our guest wireless network at the office is behind NAC so users need to enter a passcode before internet access is granted.

The final outcome is that the computers are built on the LAN (unattend.xml contains MAK key in the Specialize pass), then disconnected from LAN by a desktop tech once build is complete and manually connected to guest wireless network (so that NAC passcode can be entered via the browser).