Slow DSL

tka1234

I have Verizon DSL internet rated at 1 MBPS. Just a few days ago, it started to seem like I was getting about 1/5 of that. For instance, my usual download speed was 90-100 kbps, but now, it is BARELY 5 KBPS!! I have checked everything: the computer looks alright, all cables are connected well, Internet Explorer configured correctly. The internet always freezes and some pages won't even load. My computer is connected directly through LAN but I also have some wireless devices that are on the same router, and for some reason, they seem to run faster than the directly-connected computer does!

The only reason for this that I can think of is an increased amount of Internet traffic in my area due to the holiday season, but it is almost midnight now and the internet is still slow.

I have Verizon DSL internet rated at 1 MBPS. Just a few days ago, it started to seem like I was getting about 1/5 of that. For instance, my usual download speed was 90-100 kbps, but now, it is BARELY 5 KBPS!! I have checked everything: the computer looks alright, all cables are connected well, Internet Explorer configured correctly. The internet always freezes and some pages won't even load. My computer is connected directly through LAN but I also have some wireless devices that are on the same router, and for some reason, they seem to run faster than the directly-connected computer does!

The only reason for this that I can think of is an increased amount of Internet traffic in my area due to the holiday season, but it is almost midnight now and the internet is still slow.

Likely causes:

1: Bad telephone line.

2: Bad cat cable.

3: Bad modem.

And 5 KB/s =40 kbps!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Makes sense, will check all three more thoroughly if the problem persists. I think it may be my cat cable or ethernet port on the computer because for some reason, the router's activity lights still blink even when the internet freezes up.

Most of my problems occur during downloads, probably because of the increased amount of bandwith used while downloading, versus just loading a simple Internet page.