itunes on Windows 98

frogman

As we know itunes is not recognised on windows 98, but is there anyway we could manage to get it to work and be recognised on this system?

I don't know about iTunes on 98, all I know is that I wouldn't use iTunes for anything on any OS :whistle:

But you can use your iPod with 98 with This Driver and RealPlayer 10.5, the last version for Win9x. I used this setup before to get my girlfriend's iPod working for her in 98.

As we know itunes is not recognised on windows 98, but is there anyway we could manage to get it to work and be recognised on this system?

I don't know about iTunes on 98, all I know is that I wouldn't use iTunes for anything on any OS :whistle:

But you can use your iPod with 98 with This Driver and RealPlayer 10.5, the last version for Win9x. I used this setup before to get my girlfriend's iPod working for her in 98.

Hi,

Thanks for your help on this.

Do you think it may work without the driver using KernelEx?

As you say, I only want to be able to stick on my ipod and hope that windows 98 recognises it.

I take it I will be able to register my ipod using itunes using that driver?

Hi,

Thanks for your help on this.

Do you think it may work without the driver using KernelEx?

As you say, I only want to be able to stick on my ipod and hope that windows 98 recognises it.

I take it I will be able to register my ipod using itunes using that driver?

Don't know about iTunes and KernelEx, you will have to experiment with that. But I do know that the driver works 100%, the choice of software you use to manage it is up to you. :)

Unfortunately, in their latest i*** products, Apple have removed the "mass storage" USB interface, which is what allowed third-party software to manage the i*** products, and instead, use a proprietary USB interface, forcing you to use the iTunes driver (and then only with the more recent versions of iTunes).

Their excuse was that if data transfer via the "mass storage" USB interface was interrupted, the i*** database could become corrupted. Apparently, Apple are incapable of writing a journaling system, except magically, if they happen to use a proprietary USB interface. Fancy that!

In short, if you have an older i*** product that uses the "mass storage" interface, you have options that free you from Apple. For the later i*** products, you're trapped. You need the drivers that are part of the iTunes bloatware, and these are for XP+ only. As you will be aware, KernelEx cannot help at the driver level.

Joe.

well i know you can sync on the ipod with dopisp by mgtek but, i'm not sure if 98 can run wmp 10 i think you have to install a 3rd party patch to run wmp 10 on 98.

In case WMP10 is relevant, the following thread may be of interest :

The reality as I explained earlier, is that if you have a newer Apple product that uses a proprietary USB interface, your little paperweight is relatively useless without an XP+ system to support it. Apple even force you to use iTunes just to initialize the device, although (on XP+) after that , you can ditch this (retaining the drivers) and use a third-party app., in lieu of iTunes and its restrictions.

If you have an older Apple product that does support the "mass storage" USB interface, you should be able to use a generic driver on W98, together with a third-party app's such as SharePod. Then you have freedom from XP+ and from iTunes.

Joe.