WIN98 USB Controllers

frogman

Is there a good reason why there are duplicate entries as shown on my image below, and is it normal to have duplicates.?

my_sys10.gif

The image below shows twice with the same info for the Generic Hub duplicates.

generi10.gif

USB Root Hub Power entries.....

usb_ro10.gif

usb_ro11.gif

Why is there 2 lines identical?

VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

On the advanced bandwidth usage for each of these it says on the first one system Reserved 20%, and on the second one it says 11%

The input/output range differs for both under resources.

• 2 weeks later...

On the advanced bandwidth usage for each of these it says on the first one system Reserved 20%, and on the second one it says 11%

If the input/output range differs, and both are reported working correctly, it probably means you have two USB controllers (and two root hubs, of course) on your motherboard.

Joe.

If the input/output range differs, and both are reported working correctly, it probably means you have two USB controllers (and two root hubs, of course) on your motherboard.

Joe.

They seem to be working correctly, but apart from a physical check by opening the case, is there another way to see if there are 2 root hubs?

Let me say that I do have a usb 4 way hub external connected to the computer, would this be the extra 4 that we see on that image?

In other words 4 being the external, and 4 set around the back of the case unit.

Edited by frogman

These devices are integrated into the chipset, you won't see any physical USB controller chips. modern mobos have even 5 controllers in them, for the sake of performance, one controller per 2 ports (and one hub per 2 ports). Single USB port can handle 12MBit or 480Mbit data transfer speeds (depending on if its USB 1.1 or 2.0, no idea about USB 3.0) but if you have 4 ports on one controller all those ports share that 480 or 12MBit bandwidth, so to overcome it more controllers are used. You get better copy speeds if you have USB flash sticks in different USB ports (i.e not next to each other)...

I hope it made any sense to you ^^

They seem to be working correctly, but apart from a physical check by opening the case, is there another way to see if there are 2 root hubs?

Let me say that I do have a usb 4 way hub external connected to the computer, would this be the extra 4 that we see on that image?

In other words 4 being the external, and 4 set around the back of the case unit.

If you have two USB host controllers (which it seems you do), then you must also have two root hubs. Any other hubs (eg. external) are listed as "generic".

Joe.

Ok... my .02cents.... Using a Gateway USB Keyboard with "extra USB plugs" (for plugging in e.g. a USB Mouse close to you) will install another set of USB hubs/ports. At least it is/was there on mine.

As far as the Via Controllers, there are probably 2 on your MoBo. How many "ports" do you physically have? I have an internal Header for getting several more "plugs" by putting in an add-in connector.

No magic, just hardware...

Ok... my .02cents.... Using a Gateway USB Keyboard with "extra USB plugs" (for plugging in e.g. a USB Mouse close to you) will install another set of USB hubs/ports. At least it is/was there on mine.

That's correct. Many such peripherals provide a built-in hub so you don't use up your USB ports.

I even have a Prolific pen (Flash) drive with an inbuilt hub. It looks like any other such pen drive, but it has a USB hub between the USB connector and the actual USB mass storage sub-system. There are no accessible USB ports provided, nor any other USB functions. Go figure.

Joe.