starting a webhosting company soon

MaLuBoB

hey all,

I am starting a web hosting company soon. I just would like feedback from you guys as to what I should offer in packages as far as what you would like to see and how much they should cost? Any features you specifically want and etc...The company will be launching within a month or so. I was thinking of offering free domain names with packages if a customer agrees to sign up for a year. The price I was considering starting off was $5 which would include at least 75 megs of space, 1-3 gb of bandwidth and a host of other features. Eager to hear your comments. Thank You. Bobby

Did you happen to read our forum rules? Make yourself legit or we will be getting in touch with your ISP!!!

¤ Spamming will not be tolerated. We have provided a section for those who wish to share your personal websites. Please use these sections only. We do keep a log of all IP traffic that comes in and out of this site. We will report spamming to your ISP! [/quote:eb33ebccff] :mad:

Rick:cool:

• 2 months later...

they are playing around bobby. ignore it, you must have it up and running by now anyhow no?

my ideas would be (id love to do this myself, but my line sucks)

include frontpage extensions (well someone must use em)

PHP support

ASP

cgi/perl

MYSQL database

PHP is the fastest growing scripting language on the net, so it would be wise to include it, you probably are. the amount of sites popping up that use php and a mysql database is amazing, people use it even when theres no apparent reason to...

you probably include that lot anyhow but they are my basic ideas, if i think of anything else ill post it, what you need is something original, something others dont provide, that stands you out from the crowd, more people you get, more cash you get, and im asuming you live in an area you can easily increase your bandwidth?

anyways, good luck!

The most important factor is Support for your existing customers. You'll need to commit your time to answering sales and support questions, and getting everything you need up and running. So you should be able to dedicate yourself all day to your business.

And, are you hosting it on your own server/network or are you opting for a reseller account ? If its from your own server/network, make sure you do have a good uptime as well. So I would recommend you to stick with some reseller plans.

HostHelp.com is a good starting point for wannabe hosts.

hmmm. i am using a very cool and cheap host at the moment although i do like the sound of your free domains heh.

my current host is 20 pound a year that supports everything , perl,mysql,php4 etc etc and is 500mb of hosting with just about unlimited transfer as they dont really check it and most other users dont really have much transfer so it just makes up for it. also their good and speedy with their customer support (generally just one gyuy called nathan lol).

check it out here

• 3 weeks later...

Filer...are you using ehostpros? That's who I've been using and it is the same deal. I know that unlimited always sounds good but you have to consider quality too. Are they reliable and will they be around for long? As in another post, there was a too good to be true hosting and it's gone in less than two months. Although Ehostpros has a limit..I have gotten very good service out of them and really $4.95 is dirt cheap dude. My regular ISP wants to charge $40 a month additional to have that much space.

Rick :)