Strip Windows Installation

therock003

7 gigs page for a 5 gig ram? Maybe that why I was getting more than 23 gigs installations previously. I was on a 12 gig system.

So how can I tweak the pagefile, and what's the safest size I can set it base on ram size?

Also can someone explain why that picture on the first post shows only 6 gigs installation on unmodded iso? Still waiting to comprehend this!

The pic show 6gigs most likely because of low ram equalling a small pagefile and the hibernate file would be small too.

Personally I set my pagefile to a static size after install of say 2,048megs (Just in case a random app actually calls for it) with 12 gigs ram you really don't even need a pagefile.

Goto control panel --> System then click on the advanced system setting button.

Then under the advanced tab select settings in the performance section.

THEN under the advanced tab in the new window click on change and you will be at the pagefile section.

NOW deselect the top checkbox and go down to the box.

Click on custom size and set it to a static selection.

(like 1024 - 1024) then click on set, apply and reboot.

With a static pagefile your pagefile is less fragmentable.

IF you don't use hibernate open an admin command prompt and enter "powercfg -h off" this will disable hibernate AND delete hiberfile!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Yeah that pic is Windows 7 running in a VM with only 512MB of ram. The page file is system managed and it's 1 GB. Windows did not create a hibernate file. So minus the pagefile Windows 7 is taking up 5 gigs. I only gave it a 10 GB partition to install on to begin with so that may be why a hibernate file wasn't created.

On my live system Windows 7 is also installed on a 10 GB partition.

The pic show 6gigs most likely because of low ram equalling a small pagefile and the hibernate file would be small too.

Personally I set my pagefile to a static size after install of say 2,048megs (Just in case a random app actually calls for it) with 12 gigs ram you really don't even need a pagefile.

Goto control panel --> System then click on the advanced system setting button.

Then under the advanced tab select settings in the performance section.

THEN under the advanced tab in the new window click on change and you will be at the pagefile section.

NOW deselect the top checkbox and go down to the box.

Click on custom size and set it to a static selection.

(like 1024 - 1024) then click on set, apply and reboot.

With a static pagefile your pagefile is less fragmentable.

IF you don't use hibernate open an admin command prompt and enter "powercfg -h off" this will disable hibernate AND delete hiberfile!

Ok set the static to 1024-1024 disabled hiberbnation the way you described, and also deleted restore points and turned off system restore. Disk went from 95.3 Free to 102 free! So that's good!

More questions.

A) Can i do any better?

B)Can i know remove windows functions, or will i have to run rt7lite on an unmodded iso and reinstall windows from scratch?

C)Do i need to manually delete hiberfil.sys as well or does disabling it also remove it?

D)Will i be ok with 1024 pagefile on 4gigs RAM?

ccleaner as a regular maintenance can always help.

AFAIK turning windows features on\off doesn't save space it just disables them and removes shortcuts... (In Win7 at least, I never tried)

Edit: After a quick test turning windows features off does save a "little" bit of space. (Very little though)

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Ok thank you. So if i have set everything off prior to installing windows would have saved considerable space? There's this topic that tells you what is safe to delete, but i dont know how much space will be saved.

And a final question. Is there a lot of difference in size between various versions? Home premium to pro to Ultimate? I chose home premium, but i could use group policy and maybe some additional features but i dont know how larger the size is going to get.