UPDATE LISTS

thomast77

I have a Dell inspiron with WinXP Home SP2 on the disc. I am going to slipstream SP3. Do I use the Upload List labelled Windows XP Service Pack 3? I have tried it but it appears that some of the updates are missing. I just reinstalled XP on this machine and I think there were about 84 Updates using windows update. there only appears to be about 78 using this upload list. Is it outdated maybe? If it is outdated when is it going to be updated?

Thank You

Thomas

Edited by thomast77

• 3 months later...

I agree. Currently the XP SP3 update list has 64 critical, 1 Service Pack, 4 WMP11, 2 UNIX services and 12 Other for 83 total in the XP SP3 UL available.

However, I have done a fresh install of

XP Pro SP3

IE 8

WMP 10 followed by WMP11

dotNET 1, 1.1, 3.5 SP1 (which includes 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5) and 4.0

Then manually downloaded all the updates listed when I click the 'yellow shield' and choose Custom.

I count 115 files, with about 5 of them being 'optional' (KB updates to XP, plus root cert authority and time zone DST updates; NOT including the 'optional' Live or Search updates).

A couple of the 'info' links for the updates end up pointing to the same KB file, but installing that file does not get rid of the yellow shield 'updates available' notice for either of those KB's, by the way.

Anyway... since WUD won't accept the files I have already downloaded (I understand why, this solution just doesn't do what I want - to stop having to download 100+ updates every time I reinstall windows on our 3 desktops and 3 laptops... since WUD won't accept files I have already downloaded, I would still have to download them all again every time I use it), so I'm just going to dump them all in one subdirectory and run the

echo hotfix post SP3...
for %%a in (*.exe) do (
start /wait %%a /quiet /norestart /nobackup )
pause

batch file suggested by -X- in another thread here, even though that means they'll be installed in alphabetical order instead of the order they're given in the Windows Update list.

• 5 months later...