Latest DirectX ?

Jolaes

Hi All,

having a recent build of Media Player Classic HomeCinema installed, I found it impossible to set the video output to VMR7 and VMR9 renderer, as MPC HC needs the latest DirectX redistributable package for that.

2010 June DirectX package cannot be installed because it checks (well, tries to check) its MS Certificate and it fails. With KernelEx set to XP SP2 mode, the installer starts and stops at the Certificate check.

Under XP and above, running Cryptographic Services might solve the issue, but this of course is impossible on Win9x. The Certificate in question is faulty / missing as well, so MS advised some ppl to hack one of the dlls (dsetup32.dll) to inactivate the check. However, I cannot find exaclty how to do that.

Anyone in the know please give specific advice what to do with "dsetup32.dll". Or direct me to the right MS topic.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi All,

having a recent build of Media Player Classic HomeCinema installed, I found it impossible to set the video output to VMR7 and VMR9 renderer, as MPC HC needs the latest DirectX redistributable package for that.

2010 June DirectX package cannot be installed because it checks (well, tries to check) its MS Certificate and it fails. With KernelEx set to XP SP2 mode, the installer starts and stops at the Certificate check.

Under XP and above, running Cryptographic Services might solve the issue, but this of course is impossible on Win9x. The Certificate in question is faulty / missing as well, so MS advised some ppl to hack one of the dlls (dsetup32.dll) to inactivate the check. However, I cannot find exaclty how to do that.

Anyone in the know please give specific advice what to do with "dsetup32.dll". Or direct me to the right MS topic.

Many thanks in advance.

MPC-HC was designed stritcly for NTx OSes [2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 + 7].

To my knowledge 9x OSes DirectShow functions are not supported in MPC-HC.

If using 98, 98 SP1, 98 SE or ME [9x OSes], you should use the last MPC version created specifically for those OSes.

More MPC info.

And if using MPC, make sure you already installed:

- DirectX 9.0c:

http://www.mdgx.com/dx.htm#DX9

- K-Lite Codec Package [last version for 98/98 SE/ME]:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/3194/

KLC installs MPC, but probably an older version.

After having installed KLC, install newest MPC (above) in the same directory where KLC installed it (overwrite the EXE).

HTH

Thanks for the clarification and hints.

So even if I eventually manage to install a recent DX9c package, MPC HC would only work in overlay output mode :(

On a Win 98SE2ME system, MPC 6.4.9.1 (unicode) build 107 works with KernelEx. The last DirectX 9c 2008. dec(?) package that was released for Win ME can be installed on top of Direcx9c 2006 versions as well. This is the farthest one can get, I guess...

Thanks for the clarification and hints.

So even if I eventually manage to install a recent DX9c package, MPC HC would only work in overlay output mode :(

On a Win 98SE2ME system, MPC 6.4.9.1 (unicode) build 107 works with KernelEx. The last DirectX 9c 2008. dec(?) package that was released for Win ME can be installed on top of Direcx9c 2006 versions as well. This is the farthest one can get, I guess...

Sounds good, running even newer versions with KEX. ;-)

But please keep in mind that certain newer, NTx-only functions do not work on 9x OSes, even with KEX (too many dependencies).

KEX only provides compatibility for such executables, so they can run under 9x kernel/APIs without crashing or without displaying annoying error messages.

PS:

DX newer than December 2006 only has newer Managed DirectX (MDX) libraries, which is actually 1 file (D3DX9_xx.DLL = where xx represents build number) [enabled only with .NET Framework Redistributable installed, and used by very few apps + games], and those are not compatible with 9x OSes, although I presume [i have not tested] they will probably work (in compatibility mode) with KEX installed, but apps/games running on 9x OSes will not take advantage of newer MDX features [NTx only APIs are not implemented].

Last MDX edition compatible with 98/98 SE/ME is D3DX9_32.DLL build 9.16.843.0000 as of December 2006. Any newer MDX DLLs have APIs only for NTx OSes [starting with D3DX9_33.DLL].

Core APIs [DX 9.0c build 4.09.00.0904] are the same in all DX editions since 2004.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#Releases

HTH