Firefox 4

frogman

Hi,

what that I can say is that Firefox 4.0b7 work on Windows 98SE with KernelEX 4.5RC5

Unfortunately the new update of Firefox 4.0b8 doesn't work on my W98SE with KernelEX 4.5 RC5 even with KernelEx 4.5 final version :(

Hi,

what that I can say is that Firefox 4.0b7 work on Windows 98SE with KernelEX 4.5RC5

Unfortunately the new update of Firefox 4.0b8 doesn't work on my W98SE with KernelEX 4.5 RC5 even with KernelEx 4.5 final version :(

I ask as I just wanted to make sure, but I take it you un-installed the old KernelEx and re-booted prior to installing the final version?

I wasn't sure if any of the 4 beta versions would actually work with any of the KernelEx versions, perhaps someone can confirm.

Edited by frogman

Strange because it works on my PC (KernelEx 4.5 Final).

I've set compatibility mode for setup file and then browser as for Windows 2000 SP4.

Honestly, I must say, that I'm not impressed - isn't fast IMHO (I would say rather slow) but I've tested it shortly.

Firefox 3.5.16 is blazingly fast if you compare it with Beta 8.

Btw, one more thing: I've used my old Firefox profile (haven't tested on a new one).

Edited by rainyd

Honestly, I must say, that I'm not impressed - isn't fast IMHO (I would say rather slow) but I've tested it shortly.

So this would be an issue with FF4 Beta rather than have anything to do with KernelEx Final.

• 2 months later...

When Firefox 4 is officially released do we think that KernelEx may be changed so that FF4 will work on windows 98?

Hi Guy,

Firefox 4 Works wondervull with KernelEx. I have try it.

You but a good Computer. (MyTest PC is: Pentium 2 (330 MHz), 450 MB SD RAM, 25 GB HDD Drive, and ATi Rage 128 Grapohics).

@rainyd

You mean FireFox 4 ? Yes, ist verry slow, Firefox 3.5 is not too faster.

@Frogman - Back to you ;)

Install alle last updates for Windows 98 and try it again.

kid regards,

Michael

I noticed that too with FF 4 Beta, that much so that I removed it, and now back with 3.6.15 again which is much faster and doesn't freeze like the beta does.

@rainyd

I disagree, FF3.5 was just as fast as 3.6.

From where exactly? and with or without KernelEx?

@rainyd

I have installing the kernel after the updates...

Try it so, instzalöl all patches nd after again kernel ex.

You can a try it with this unofficial SP here -> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

(after this patch, must you all shurtscuts and menu items edit)

kid regards,

Michael

You but a good Computer. (MyTest PC is: Pentium 2 (330 MHz), 450 MB SD RAM, 25 GB HDD Drive, and ATi Rage 128 Grapohics).

@rainyd

Honestly, I do not follow your logic: first Firefox 4 works wonderful than is very slow - it can't be possible at the same time.

Edited by rainyd

@rainyd

Honestly, I do not follow your logic: first Firefox 4 works wonderful than is very slow - it can't be possible at the same time.

I was thinking that myself, hopefully he will explain this.

@rainyd

I have installing the kernel after the updates...

Try it so, instzalöl all patches nd after again kernel ex.

You can a try it with this unofficial SP here -> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

(after this patch, must you all shurtscuts and menu items edit)

kid regards,

Michael

Can you please explain what you mean about the shortcuts after the 98 updates have been installed?

As this thread is titled Firefox 4, I thought to ask if any 98 users have installed the final version Firefox 4 RC Final?

I had tried the beta the other day, and it was really slow and froze, so I removed the beta and back to the latest firefox 3.6.15 version.

As this thread is titled Firefox 4, I thought to ask if any 98 users have installed the final version Firefox 4 RC Final?

I had tried the beta the other day, and it was really slow and froze, so I removed the beta and back to the latest firefox 3.6.15 version.

Yes, I've tried yesterday RC version of Firefox 4.0.

It wasn't even very slow but simply non-workable.

Btw, look at this post and that one.

Yes, I've tried yesterday RC version of Firefox 4.0.

It wasn't even very slow but simply non-workable.

Btw, look at this post and that one.

Yeah, same here.

Do you think it would have anything to do with RAM? as I only have 256 and it says FF4 needs 512.

What RAM do you have?