KernelEX - Newbie Questions

Wonder if someone can just confirm that what I am doing is correct

1. As regards installing KernelEX [v4.5 RC5]

Prior to installing KernelEX, need to download unicows.exe and place the 2 files unicows.dll & unicows.pdb into C:\windows\system

Is that correct?

2. I installed SuperAntiSpyware 4.32.1000 [98SE is not supported in this version].

The following is the only way that I could get SAS to install and work.

a) Right click on sas.exe installer >KernelEX and selected compatibility mode > 98SE prior to install.

b ) After install, used KernelEX to run Superantispyware.exe and runsas.exe in compatibility mode >XP SP2

c) with new definitions file, equally prior to running the update, I selected compatibility mode > 98SE (on the new definitions file). The updated definitions were successfully applied.

Have I done everything correctly. SAS seems to be working fine [so far] with no issues.

As a final question. KernelEX's property box has 3 entries under basic options.

What is the difference between

- Use default compatibilty options [KernelEX is disabled]

&

- Disable KernelEX extensions

I am not sure if I should have posted this in the existing KernelEX thread or not so I apologise in advance in the event that I should not have started this thread

Many thanks for any info provided

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

What is the difference between

- Use default compatibilty options [KernelEX is disabled]

&

- Disable KernelEX extensions

Default compatibilty options means KernelEx is enabled, not disabled, but is not in a particular special mode.

What's necessary to understand for optimal use though is why there is a default mode in the specific compatibilty mode drop down list in addition to the default compatibilty options check box since they are both the same. For example sometimes you'll find that you need to put an executable in a specific compatibilty mode such as 2K or XP mode which is inherited by default by dlls the program uses but one or another dll won't work properly because it can't cope well with that compatibilty mode. That's when you waqnt to use the a different compatibilty mode from the drop down list for the non working dll. Example: I run foobar2000 in XP mode and force default mode on the foo_dsp_vstwrap.dll third party component who doesn't work correctly when it inherits XP mode.

Many thanks for your reply loblo.

lobo said:

Default compatibility options means KernelEx is enabled, not disabled, but is not in a particular special mode.

What's necessary to understand for optimal use though is why there is a default mode in the specific compatibility mode drop down list in addition to the default compatibility options check box since they are both the same. For example sometimes you'll find that you need to put an executable in a specific compatibility mode such as 2K or XP mode which is inherited by default by dlls the program uses but one or another dll won't work properly because it can't cope well with that compatibility mode. That's when you want to use the a different compatibility mode from the drop down list for the non working dll. Example: I run foobar2000 in XP mode and force default mode on the foo_dsp_vstwrap.dll third party component who doesn't work correctly when it inherits XP mode.

I think I understand what you are saying. My somewhat pedestrian interpretation is questioning why bother then having the 1st option Use default compatibility options [KernelEX is disabled], if it is actually enabled as you say but not in any special mode. I guess as I understand KernelEX better and become more proficient with it the penny will eventually drop as to the significance of that entry.

Let me as you a further question relating to my original post

Did I follow the correct procedure to install KernelEX ie place the 2 files (are both files required?) which I specified above in the C:\windows\system folder then run KernelEX.

Lastly, any ideas on my SuperAntiSpyware install as detailed above. Does it look like I did the right thing. I have never actually installed any progs in XP under compatibility mode so effectively this was my first time.

Perhaps some other users can also offer some comments please.

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

Did I follow the correct procedure to install KernelEX ie place the 2 files (are both files required?) which I specified above in the C:\windows\system folder then run KernelEX.

Lastly, any ideas on my SuperAntiSpyware install as detailed above. Does it look like I did the right thing. I have never actually installed any progs in XP under compatibility mode so effectively this was my first time.

Yeah I guess you did everything allright albeit I don't think you need the pdb file but it it doesn't hurt if it's there anyway.

As for SAS, I never installed it but I understand you did and it is working fine so what is the problem?

Cheers.

loblo said:

As for SAS, I never installed it but I understand you did and it is working fine so what is the problem?

My question was more to do with the procedure that I used, ie is that generally the way to go about it in using KernelEX. If you see what I mean

Cheers

I was just thinking that perhaps in your case default mode means KernelEx is disabled if you've installed choosing it the option to not enable KernelEx on all executable by default. I've never installed it in that way so perhaps I am missing something there and my first answer doesn't apply.

I was just thinking that perhaps in your case default mode means KernelEx is disabled if you've installed choosing the option to not enable KernelEx on all executable by default. I've never installed it in that way so perhaps I am missing something there and my first answer doesn't apply.

Correct. At install I did indeed select the option NOT to enable kernelEX on all executables by default.

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal