Does JRE 6u22 work on win-98 with KernelEx?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

I'm running what I think is the most recent version of KernelEx on this system. I just updated my firefox from 2.0.0.20 to 3.6.12 with no issues.

I downloaded and ran jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe and it went through the install process without giving me any error messages or hassles. One strange thing though - at the very end it spawned the calculator (calc.exe) and when I go to close the calculator, it spawns another calculator. I close that, and it spawns another one. It does this about 6 times before it finally goes away. I then start firefox and try javatester.org. When I click on the java version test link, an empty dos window opens in the foreground with "java" in the title bar. It takes several attempts to close it. There is nothing in the java-tester version box (just a black box). I then start the java control panel, remove the "use next generation something or other" option, restart firefox, and try javatester again, but the same thing happens (empty dos box).

So, what am I doing wrong with JRE 6u22?

Edited by wsxedcrfv

I'm running what I think is the most recent version of KernelEx on this system. I just updated my firefox from 2.0.0.20 to 3.6.12 with no issues.

I downloaded and ran jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe and it went through the install process without giving me any error messages or hassles. One strange thing though - at the very end it spawned the calculator (calc.exe) and when I go to close the calculator, it spawns another calculator. I close that, and it spawns another one. It does this about 6 times before it finally goes away. I then start firefox and try javatester.org. When I click on the java version test link, an empty dos window opens in the foreground with "java" in the title bar. It takes several attempts to close it. There is nothing in the java-tester version box (just a black box). I then start the java control panel, remove the "use next generation something or other" option, restart firefox, and try javatester again, but the same thing happens (empty dos box).

So, what am I doing wrong with JRE 6u22?

Sorry but that was mentioned many times - Firefox 3.6 and Java 6 do not work because Java next-generation plugin which is necessary for browser, doesn't work under Win98/ME.

If you want to use Java 6 update 22, you must stick with Firefox 3.5 family.

Edited by rainyd

Guest wsxedcrfv

If you want to use Java 6 update 22, you must stick with Firefox 3.5 family.

Ok, after less than 24 hours using Firefox 3.5.15 it is really acting strange. Lots of graphics-related issues and sluggish behavior. As I type this, the firefox menu bars are messed up (looks like noise) and this msfn page is not being rendered correctly. Seems to get worse if I'm running several instances of firefox.

I would see some problems with firefox 2.0.0.20 but only if I've got something like 20 instances of firefox open.

What are other people's experiences with Firefox 3.5.15?

I'm using Firefox 3.5.15 since it was released and I don't have a single problem with it.

Are you using the same profile, which you have used with Firefox 3.6 (that could be reason of your issues)?

Edited by rainyd

I'm using Firefox 3.5.15 since it was released and I don't have a single problem with it.

Are you using the same profile, which you have used with Firefox 3.6 (that could be reason of your issues)?

See here for running java applets on Firefox 3.5.x with JRE 6U22. Test it at Java Test to make sure it's working right.