Best Virtualization Solution

john_sm3853

I am in process of putting a virtualization plan in place. Wondering, from pure virtualization perspective, which hardware vendor provides the best virtualization solution. Will like to know if any have had any experiences using virtualization on DELL hardware, SUN, HP or IBM. Also wondering, if any of you were able to get a decent discount from any of these hardware or vitualization software vendors. Appreciate your help

VMWare ESXi server works wonders (running 4.1). The client-side is not always that happy with old installations so you might have to reinstall windows and then install the client. For a few hardware providers, they need special drivers, like HP. You'll have to download the HP customized cd (version 4.0) and then upgrade ESXi to 4.1 after installing. VMWare is also a bit picky when it comes to hardware... I got a HP Proliant ML330 G6 running, though the built-in raid-controller is software-based, and VMWare does not like it... ESXi takes approx 5 min to boot, including the HP boot stuff which takes forever. Note that I put 24gb ram in it instead of the default 1gb.... A crucial pack with 3x8gb with ECC.