Network Yes, Internet ... NO

edou

Hi,

I recently experienced the following irritation, and would like to know if there would be a solution about my home network...

I've got a desktop (win 7 pro 64, no wifi), a laptop A (win 7, wifi), another laptop B (win XP SP2 or 3, no wifi), an external HD (usb), and a printer (Lan, Usb, wifi).

I realize that making everything communicate with each other is a challenge, but not impossible. Especially when my son of 9 uses the old laptop and that I want to monitor a bit what he's doing there on the internet.....

But my main iritation is when I want to exchange documents between desktop and laptop A, or print from both laptops. In order to do that, I have naturally to open the wifi connection in order to be on my home network. But by doing that, I open my internet connection automatically, since my router (also wifi) is connected to my modem.

Is there a way to prevent that (other than unplugging the router from the modem :whistle: )?

Thx for any answer

E

If you put incorrect Gateway settings into your network adapter it will prevent you from having an internet connection.

Or you can put an invalid proxy into your internet explorer > Options > Connection > "LAN settings".

Hi,

I recently experienced the following irritation, and would like to know if there would be a solution about my home network...

I've got a desktop (win 7 pro 64, no wifi), a laptop A (win 7, wifi), another laptop B (win XP SP2 or 3, no wifi), an external HD (usb), and a printer (Lan, Usb, wifi).

I realize that making everything communicate with each other is a challenge, but not impossible. Especially when my son of 9 uses the old laptop and that I want to monitor a bit what he's doing there on the internet.....

But my main iritation is when I want to exchange documents between desktop and laptop A, or print from both laptops. In order to do that, I have naturally to open the wifi connection in order to be on my home network. But by doing that, I open my internet connection automatically, since my router (also wifi) is connected to my modem.

Is there a way to prevent that (other than unplugging the router from the modem :whistle: )?

Thx for any answer

E

Hi Siginet,

if I understand wel your answer, i wouldn't be able to connect to internet anymore, what is also not the purpose...

Isn't it possible to have two types of networks using both or wireless or LAN, the one having a connection to internet, the other one not?

For instance making a home network and a vpn? If yes, which one would be most appropriate for having no connection to internet?

E

• 2 weeks later...

if I understand wel your answer, i wouldn't be able to connect to internet anymore, what is also not the purpose...

If we understand well, you want to have connectivity between all PCs but Internet only on some of them. On those only (with no internet), you can apply Siginet's suggestion to change the "gateway" in the network settings. I hope this is clearer.