Seagate 7200.11 problem...help!

in the meantime i will try to figure out how to save these new files i have to export to bring them back here... the last one i did copy it into a floppy, but these new files are bigger than 1.44mb so its kind of difficult for me to copy them to a hard drive or an usb stick without zip them because i cant figure out how can i get any drive besides the C: A: and B: recognized by the DOS mounted in the RamDrive, even if i have other hds connected...

Actually all you need is some very little space in a FAT16 or FAT32 partition, possibly on a drive smaller than 137 Gb, or however with the partition entirely below this "barrier".

A good media would be a USB stick, we make it DOS bootable and install to it MHDD and a few other tools.

;)

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

well, after all this time, first of all i want to thank you jaclaz for your time and dedication on this :)

taking advantage of the time i was off traveling, i left the drive to be check at a data recovery center which make diagnostics for free. they use pc-3000 tools and some pretty nice stuff.

they found damaged sectors on the disk's surface, so using pc-3000 they managed to recover like 90% of the data which is really great at this point.

in this center they also perform disk repairs and they told me that this disk is a beautiful brink, in fact one of the guys at the administration after hearing part of my conversation with the technician, asked me for the disk to use the platters as decoration for they huge "disk parts" xmas tree ...............................

so well, it seems that this disk is really a damaged and again thanks for your time !!

this is my last seagate drive and i also will sell my other seagate 7200.11 of 750 gbs on ebay for sure, i experience the same with that other disk too, in fact they recommend me to get any +500gb samsung disk or caviar black models by wd.

best!

Happy that your data was recovered. :)

About Seagate, your decision - with all due respect - is pure nonsense. :w00t:

Seagate managed in the worst possible way the problems created by this "series" or "model" of hard disk drive. :ph34r:

But every and all HD manufacturer has had one (or more) series or model that sucked big and they will probably have one or more in the future.

Remember the Maxtors a few years ago:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/hard-drive-support/59502-maxtor-failure-symptoms.html

and the DeskStar DeathStar some time before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

The issue is not with the brand it is with the series, the good guys that design these things are forced by the laws of the market to create senselessly BIG drives inside a "standardized" size/volume.

This leads to higher density.

To this you add the competiition for always greater speeds (at a needed higher precision level) and you complete the recipe for disaster.

The same 7200.11 series but 250 or 320 Gb in size have NOT shown similar trend as the 500 and 750 Gb ones, AFAIK.

It may be a coincidence, but I believe not very much to coincidences. ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz