General Software Browser

frogman

At the moment one downloads and or uses a browser then updates it with software as and when, but just curious why a browser has never been implemented that would contain the most software that is required to view certain documents such as Java and Flash etc.

I say this as many people have problems knowing which one to download etc, and having a browser that automatically comes with an up-to-date Java for example and be constantly updated with their respective operating system would be great.

What would be the problems if there were such a browser?

I wouldn't really say "problems", but I can think of:

1. The download size would increase;

2. The browser manufacturer would have to sign redistributable agreements with Adobe/Oracle etc., which may mean they would have to pay to include the plug-ins in the browsers, hence be forced to use toolbars to make those revenues.

3. It's really up to the user for these kinds of plug-ins. E.g. I choose to use Firefox, but have never installed or used Java.

Cheers

the most software that is required to view certain documents such as Java and Flash etc.

Who gets to determine what is "required" or not? The only thing I could see being bundled myself is Flash. I definitely don't need nor want Sun/Oracle Java anywhere near my PC!

I say this as many people have problems knowing which one to download etc

Most browsers make "finding" the plugin as easy as clicking a couple of times (it's fairly trivial to get flash installed)

and having a browser that automatically comes with an up-to-date Java for example

I'd rather have a Java-less installer (this way I don't have to manually uninstall it afterwards). But including anything extra would require more frequent updates on their website: any single time the browser or anything bundled is updated, they'd have to release a new version. More frequent downloads of much lager size (due to all the bundled stuff) would mean using a lot of extra bandwidth (which isn't free) and a general perception of it being bloatware too.

and be constantly updated with their respective operating system would be great.

Most companies making 3rd party plugins (like flash) for browsers wouldn't want to rely on 3rd parties to enforce/provide/check for updates. Nor would most browser companies would want the responsibility and associated costs.

I just don't see this as being a problem. Every time I reinstall (every couple years or so), it just takes a couple clicks to get Flash installed then I'm set for another while. The flash update process is FAR more of a time sink. It seems like we get that update popup every week or so.

I read your thoughts, and that's all very well if you have the latest operating system, but if you are one like me that uses an older operating system and kernelex to install software not compatible for 98 but nevertheless works if installed then it's not at all that easy updating and installing this and that.

One think I must say to the negativity surrounding Java, you certainly can say you don't want or need it, but you do if you want to play certain games that need Java, now don't get me wrong, I ain't a gamer, in fact my system couldn't cope with high speed gaming, but what I do like to play now and again is yahoo pool, and because Firefox 3.6.12 doesn't like Java on a Kernel Ex patched system then I just have to use I.E, but would have preferred if the FF browser would come equipped with it's very own Java.

Now I am very aware of a plug in called the next generation, but it just will not work on my system, this has been covered on another thread, so I don't wish to cause complaints by bringing it up on this thread if you know what I mean.

So at the end of the day this is why I thought that a browser with the much needed software that would cope with most applications, and of course a disable function if like you say you don't want or need Java.

On this front I would like to say that the majority of people use Word and Excel at some point, and I could never understand why systems didn't have this pre-installed. I know some have limited versions installed, but some people like the full version, and although they can go out and purchase this for install, it would be just good to have it pre-installed, as you have got to remember not everyone that buys a PC is computer minded.

I read your thoughts, and that's all very well if you have the latest operating system, but if you are one like me that uses an older operating system and kernelex to install software not compatible for 98 but nevertheless works if installed then it's not at all that easy updating and installing this and that.

Well, there's your problem. You hardly need the latest OS (Win 7) for that. It also works just fine on Vista, XP, Win 2008 R2/2008/2003 R2/2003, FLP, probably some more which I'm forgetting, and last I tried it worked fine on the decade-old Win2k editions too. If you insist on using a long unsupported OS (both by the OS vendor *and* the browser vendors) that's over a decade old, along with various non-standard 3rd party modifications, you can't be surprised you're going to run into some troubles.

For those not using such an OS with a sub-0.1% market share (pretty much everybody), it's a complete non-issue, and for the most part bundling lots of unnecessary/unwanted stuff wouldn't be such a great idea. And even if a company did came up with such a everything-and-the-kitchen-sink included browser, it most likely still wouldn't solve your issues (most likely it wouldn't run on Win9x)

On this front I would like to say that the majority of people use Word and Excel at some point, and I could never understand why systems didn't have this pre-installed. I know some have limited versions installed, but some people like the full version, and although they can go out and purchase this for install, it would be just good to have it pre-installed, as you have got to remember not everyone that buys a PC is computer minded.

It's ridiculously simple: cost. Pre-installing the full blown MS Office would add a LOT to the cost. Office 2010 Pro (the not so "limited" version, although that still doesn't include Visio nor Project) would add $300 to the cost of a new PC which is basically as much as some PCs go for these days.

It's ridiculously simple: cost. Pre-installing the full blown MS Office would add a LOT to the cost. Office 2010 Pro (the not so "limited" version, although that still doesn't include Visio nor Project) would add $300 to the cost of a new PC which is basically as much as some PCs go for these days.

How funny! Actually there is a new Office product out there (well it hit with the rest of Office 2010 RTM) called Office Starter. Basically, an OEM can install a trial of Office 2010 Pro on a system. You get three options:

1. Purchase a real version of Office online

2. Use a product key to unlock a particular Office version

3. Install Office Starter, which includes a free (but limited) version of Word and Excel.

To my knowledge, the Starter install does not expire. If Starter is installed, you get 2010 Pro for 60 days, and after that, you can only use the Starter apps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/starter/

Now, the task of getting it pre-installed on every computer is left up to the OEM. Some have done it already.