battery: "0% available, plugged in, not charging"

huh

so, i have a feeling this is a common error and a common problem discussed and "resolved" in pretty much every techie venue online by now....there are tons of google results.

thing is, i've tried them all.

what i've done:

1.shut down

2.remove ac

3.remove battery

4.replace ac

5.power on

6.uninstall device manager->batteries->ms acpi-compliant control method battery

7.power down

8.remove ac

9.replace battery

10.reconnect ac

11.power on

...same problem...

i've also tried simply uninstalling the ms acpi-compliant control method battery and then using the device manager "scan for hardware changes" button to reinstall that feature. no result.

anyone know of another fix?

i'm running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on a toshiba a200 - th1

thanks in advance!

Edited by huh

What is your laptop make/model?

Try installing this update, if you dont have a HP notebook you can extract the .cab and use dism to install it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2293330

Download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2293330

Rick, thanks or your prompt response! That's why I always turn to msfn first.

Firstly, I'm using an Intel chipset, and I noticed in the description of this update that it seems to be AMD-specific, shown here:

amdj.jpg

As a result, I haven't attempted your resolution. I'm using a Toshiba A200-TH1 that I've had since '07. It's got an Intel Core2 Duo T5450.

Edited by huh

Not WSUSSACN

To install open a cmd prompt and run the following

dism /online /add-package /packagepath:<path to cab>

Done and done. I can't seem to locate my battery, but as soon as I do I'll post the results.

Again, thank you very much for your help and prompt responses!

Hmmm... I would strongly suggest burning and running a Ubuntu Live CD and see if you get the same problem there, as it charges and reads battery charging similar to how Windows 7 does it. If that also shows the error, you will need to contact Toshiba. The fact it says "not charging" means it's not exactly the same as the previous Windows 7 issue that brought about that hotfix. That would show "Consider replacing your battery" in the battery window - are you seeing that?

Hmmm... I would strongly suggest burning and running a Ubuntu Live CD and see if you get the same problem there, as it charges and reads battery charging similar to how Windows 7 does it. If that also shows the error, you will need to contact Toshiba. The fact it says "not charging" means it's not exactly the same as the previous Windows 7 issue that brought about that hotfix. That would show "Consider replacing your battery" in the battery window - are you seeing that?

ubuntu 10.10 live usb

ubatr.jpg

battery window

7bat0.jpg