Assigning Static IP with referenc to MAC ID

srihariram

If you are running windows server, install DHCP Server then create a scope then you can assign an IP based on the MAC address.

If you are running DCHP via a router, then usually (depending on the make and model of the router) you can assign an IP address based on the MAC through that.

If you do end up installing DCHP on the server, after you get the scope configured, make sure you disable DHCP on the router.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is there any way to assign Static IP to a network adapter based on MAC ID?

i have MAC ID, i need to assign Static IP with reference to MAC ID.

Thanks and regards..

Post OS version!

You can use DHCP Reservations, however these can become corrupted. If you use them, make sure to keep a document with your reservations in case you need to delete and re-create them.

I experienced the Reservation corruption on a 2008 DC but it only happened after a rogue DHCP server was connected to the network. The 2008 had correctly blocked the initial DHCP requests from the offender (as per how DHCP Authorization works I imagine) but the offender intercepted DHCP Renews. I'm guessing something was maybe not configured correctly, but the offender was a Linux server, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

• 1 month later...

I experienced the Reservation corruption on a 2008 DC but it only happened after a rogue DHCP server was connected to the network. The 2008 had correctly blocked the initial DHCP requests from the offender (as per how DHCP Authorization works I imagine) but the offender intercepted DHCP Renews. I'm guessing something was maybe not configured correctly, but the offender was a Linux server, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Only Windows (Win2000 or later) machines understand authorisation. Other OSes won't check for auth. before handing out IP addresses. If the DHCP server did not live on the same subnet as the clients, it would need to have had a relay or ip helper pointing traffic towards it - else it would only have been able to offer/renew IP addresses to machines on the same local subnet.

I'm not sure how this could have corrupted your DHCP database, though.

In any case - we have a script which runs weekly on all DHCP servers, saving their configuration and the details of all IP reservations. Should anything go haywire with the DHCP service, we would be able to quickly restore it. It also allows us to periodically review the IP reservations to see which might not be needed anymore.