Really slow performance when copying files

Haruspex

Hi, i have this setup

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (with all the latest updates)

Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L (with the F8 bios)

2GB DDR2 Ram Corsair

Intel Core 2 Quad q9400 (stock cooler)

9600GT (260.99)

2x WD 320 GB (WD3200AAKS) Just 2 physical separate drives no partitions

Also i have enabled AHCI mode and installed the latest Intel rapid storage drivers. NCQ and disk cache are enabled. Also i tried in regular IDE mode and it didn't help.

He are the HDTach tests (i have no idea if the results are normal or not, i just posting them for some one more experienced to see them)

clipboard01mf.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

clipboard020.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So to better describe the problem now.

When copying large files (it doesn't matter if i copy a large file in the same drive or in the second drive) the pc becomes really slow. For example if i try to open a program like firefox, excel etc. it takes too long. I have similar results when uncompressing large rar files.

In XP with the exact same system and setup it was way faster.

I don't have anything overclocked and i make sure that i have no apps running in background that can slow down the system. Also with the exception of this problem i don't have any other problem or unusual behavior in 7.

I did a google search and although i found people with the exact same problem no one seems to have found a solution.

Any thoughts?

Guest noob101

Hi bro... have you tried checking your HDD for Bad Sectors??? if not try to use HDD Regenarator 1.71. I think your hdd has a Bad Sector in it. thats what cause you to copy files in such poor speed...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The drives are completely defragmented and in general the pc is optimized.

Also although i never scanned my hard drives because as far as i remember it takes a really long time, i don't think i have bad sectors because

1) i have this problem only in 7 not in XP

2) it happens on both drives. Am i really that unlucky that both my drives have bad sectors?

And i need to clarify that i am not getting slow speeds when copying files. When i am copying large files it seems the pc gives all the priority for that operation and it becomes really slow. But the copy process itself is fast.

Also when i am doing other multitasking jobs the pc is operating fine. For example i don't have a problem at all if i have megui in background converting a video using x264 (which uses all 4 cores)

I further researched the problem and here is what i found using a particular program that scans iso images. (ABGX 360)

This program while scans the iso it shows the current read speed of the hard drive

In XP

~76 MB second. When i open a program (let's say for example firefox) i can see the read speed dropping (at around 43 mb second) which allows firefox to open and after firefox opens the hard drive read speed in the program reads again ~76 mb second. All that process of course is done almost instantly with only a really small speed penalty which it's totally normal.

In 7

Again read speed around 76 mb second.

Here is the interesting part. When i try to open firefox (or any other application) the read speed stays at ~76 mb so firefox takes a really long time to execute and the pc in general becomes really slow while the program scans the iso.

That behavior when using that program is similar as copying large files but while copying large files things are even worse.

I hope all the above makes sense. Sorry English isn't my first language.

So in conclusion i think the problem lies that 7 gives all the priority to the hard drive without any throttling at all that's why my pc becomes so slow.

As to why 7 behave that way i can think only these different things.

1) Something to do with the intel and/or sata drivers.

2) A bug in 7 that only happens in particular hardware/software configurations.

3) Something is wrong with both my drives. Again if it was a hardware problem why it would be triggered only in 7 and not in XP?

Any ideas?

Edited by Haruspex