New here please help with gateway and Vista

dmi18

Hello and thank you in advance. I have a gateway model gt5657e. It runs on vista. I was getting a lot of shut down with error massage. I'm not very savvy with the computers so I called costco tech and after a lot of test they told me most likely I have a Virus and I should restore the computer . I order the recovery disk and after trying to run it I received more error pop out. 1st one said error with number 0x2001100200001012 if this happens again call gateway. 2nd popout was restore7.exe application error

the instruction at 0x750605ef referenced memory at 0x00000114. the memory could not be read. click ok to terminate the program.

I called gateway thinking there was a problem with the recovery disk. they said is a hardware issue so I went and replaced the hardware . I run the disk and received the same error messages. any help / advise you can give me

Thank you

It looks like a RAM problem. I assume you have 2 sticks. Take one stick out and try again. If that does not work, try the other stick by itself. Here is a guide on how to do that ( http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/4536GZ/4201faq25.shtml ). This may not be exactly your model, but you will get the idea. The important step is opening the clips. The rest is a piece of cake.

If you determine that it is a faulty stick, get a new one (you may use the opportunity to upgrade your RAM). You can scan your PC here ( http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx?gclid=clc7ieyzvpccfryenaodgh7jsw&ef_id=1705:3:s_6bb7793def0e1a58cd2af23d4db33704_1771685393:pyvl99bklaoaac96jqyaaaap:20081213201317 ). The Crucial System Scanner Tool will tell you what options you have - and the price. But it never hurts to shop around.

Edited by whs37

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and thank you for your help, sorry for the late respond

My feeling was right there was a problem with the recovery disk and not the hardware. What I didn't know but I find out by accident was the shutdown was caused by my printer. Anyway I received the new disk and uploaded .everything seams fine now and I don't use the printer. again thank you for your help .Now I would like to try to fix my older computer (running on xp) so my kids can use it but I know I have to open a new thread