Dell Vostro 1014

Messerschmitt

Hi guys,

I need some help with my new Dell Vostro 1014. it came with Ubuntu so I wiped the HDD clean, formated, and installed Win XP.

However, after installing all the drivers from Dell's website for the Vostro 1014, I still have some hardware in device manager

An unknown device Base System Device

Unknown Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus

Unknown Modem Device on High definition audio Bus (don't really care about the 56k modem)

And all the USB under USB controllers with yellow ! (8 of them).

Also, the sound driver from dell Conexant Audio gives me a Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the media device for this driver.

The order I installed the dell drivers and which are is:

Dell Utility, DSS_UTIL_WIN_R259999.exe and Dell_System-Software, but no clue what these does.

Intel - Driver (Chipset)

Audio Conexant which does not work

Video Intel - Driver

Network Realtek - Driver

Network QMI - Driver (chose this since the specs says it comes with b/g/n, and the QMI was the only b/g/n, the Wireless 1397 are only b/g so didn't installed those from Dell - Application)

Thank you, and hoping someone with knowledge, or the Vostro can help me out.

Cheers!

Edited by Messerschmitt

with the autio driver issue there is a fix that was needed for some systems first kb8111** (Can;t remember exactly what it was) BUT sp3 has it included.

According to the dell site it is fully xp compatable so I think your os source is suspect here.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I just managed to install my Audio.

Basically I had to go into the folder it extracted and specifically enter the 32bit and run the setup from there.

Maybe the auto-run was running the 64bit.

Now, an added question. How come when I'm using the Fn + Volume or Brighness or Wireless, there is no on-screen indicator? All the laptops I've seen they had it, so am I missing a driver? Maybe it's the Base System Device?

Still have all my USB's as yellow ! and the Base System Device as unknown. Doing a update via Device Manager with internet connection does not find anything.

hmmm I dunno...

You shouldn't be experincing the usb issue ever on that laptop :S Have you modified your source?

As for the brightness indicator I have 3 dell lappys and non of them show it after a fresh install. I think it is an oem feature that dell doesn't provide extra dl's for.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

hmmm I dunno...

You shouldn't be experincing the usb issue ever on that laptop :S Have you modified your source?

As for the brightness indicator I have 3 dell lappys and non of them show it after a fresh install. I think it is an oem feature that dell doesn't provide extra dl's for.

Hi, em, what do you mean by modifying the source?

using nLite or some other pre-installation modification means. i.e. adding hotfixes and drivers

BTW I found out how to get your indicators back

it is called dell quickset here is the link to your dl http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R286806&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2861&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=25&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=426139

NORMALLY dell doesn't show the applications page for your system here is the link to that page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Those links are for inspiron 1520 tho... couldn't it create compability issues? I mean the Quickset drivers say there can be a standby/hybernate problem with the network, and that's for their 1520.

Btw. I managed to get my USB drives. If I recall what i did is I went into BIOS, de-selected then re-selected USB support. after that 6 of my 8 USB were OK (Only the 2 USB2 had the yellow !). Then even tho when selecting install software automatically it couldnt find anything, once I selected to install it manually, chose driver to install, then just select the Host Controller with show compatible hardware checked, it just installed it from who knows where, and it worked.

Btw, if you have the Vostro 1014, does your HDD parks itself quite loudly? Any way to fix the clicking?

Edited by Messerschmitt