ReUsing Critical Updates

johnb0647

Anybody know:

1. If I have one computer that has already used AUTOMATIC UPDATES from SP3 till yesterday is there some I can extract those updates and copy them over to be applied to a clean install on another computer?

If not, then

2. Is there somewhere I can download IN ONE GIANT PACKAGE all the MS critical updates for XP Pro since SP3 so I can slipstream them into my annual "clean installs"? Preferably as torrent.

I've found several places where I can download them one at a time but...............

Now to prevent a million "just turn on Automatic Updates" answers

I live in the wilds of the Philippines. My WiFi internet connection is 384kbps IN THEORY but gets throttled down to 5kbps if I exceed a certain number of Mb per hour/day/month until I'm back in the "zone". That means ALL my internet access gets throttled down for WEEKS (it seems like it anyway) if I do a clean install of XP Pro SP3 and turn on Auto Updates. I have 3 computers and an adventurous family so clean installs are an annual event.

The folder C:/WINDOWS/$hf_mig$ contains what appears to be the updates listed by KB number but they are not in the form that the doc's for nlite and such say they want.

So is there some way to use them OR can I download them all together and apply them "manually" by which I mean without Auto Updates OR slipstream them?

For that matter it would be nice to find a document that explains exactly how the MS Update system works, what it does with the files, etc. I've searched either I've been really stupid about keywords or nobody cares.

THX

Anybody know:

1. If I have one computer that has already used AUTOMATIC UPDATES from SP3 till yesterday is there some I can extract those updates and copy them over to be applied to a clean install on another computer?

If not, then

2. Is there somewhere I can download IN ONE GIANT PACKAGE all the MS critical updates for XP Pro since SP3 so I can slipstream them into my annual "clean installs"? Preferably as torrent.

I've found several places where I can download them one at a time but...............

Now to prevent a million "just turn on Automatic Updates" answers

I live in the wilds of the Philippines. My WiFi internet connection is 384kbps IN THEORY but gets throttled down to 5kbps if I exceed a certain number of Mb per hour/day/month until I'm back in the "zone". That means ALL my internet access gets throttled down for WEEKS (it seems like it anyway) if I do a clean install of XP Pro SP3 and turn on Auto Updates. I have 3 computers and an adventurous family so clean installs are an annual event.

The folder C:/WINDOWS/$hf_mig$ contains what appears to be the updates listed by KB number but they are not in the form that the doc's for nlite and such say they want.

So is there some way to use them OR can I download them all together and apply them "manually" by which I mean without Auto Updates OR slipstream them?

For that matter it would be nice to find a document that explains exactly how the MS Update system works, what it does with the files, etc. I've searched either I've been really stupid about keywords or nobody cares.

THX

Autopatcher will downloadall post XP SP3 updates. You can put them on CD or USB stick. It will install ones you select. It also provides links to the KB article so you can check whether you want or need any one. It updates regularly.

http://www.autopatcher.com/

Autopatcher users forum:

http://www.autopatcher.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

@johnb0647

The easiest way to do this and stay legal is to use a method that downloads directly from Microsoft's servers all Microsoft updates - the torrent method would be illegal.

Post #2 offers an option, and post #3 is a method I'm familiar with - AutoPatcher - your needs are exactly why AutoPatcher was created. The latest Official release is about 293 MB for the Windows XP SP3 package that tries to match WU/MU requirements.

I don't recommend using AutoPatcher to slipstream the updates, there are better tools for that but in terms of getting all the updates to one location and having a nice GUI to install them on multiple systems AutoPatcher is ideal for this task - or copy them to another program for slipstreaming.

See post #2 for links - read here for a quick intro to getting started using APUP and AutoPatcher :)

Btw, you're preaching to the choir when you mention your slow connect speed, I'm stuck with a dialup connection that runs @ 3.1 KBps - I download everything at this rate including AutoPatcher as well .NET 3.5, Xp's SP3 and so on - you do what you have to do I suppose.