Many thanks from an offline user! :-)

Hi JCarle! :hello:

I just popped in quickly to thank ye publicly for Windows Update Downloader! Although I had a home Internet connection until about a month ago, minor differences between myself and my ISP (They couldn't run a bath, let alone cable broadband!) and some personal decisions mean that's no longer the case...And although I enjoy the greater security of having no external connection to my home network, it does mean that I'm no longer able to rely on Windows patching itself automatically like I used to! :yes:

Thanks to WUD, I've been able to download all of the XP and 2K/Server 2003 patches to a friends PC ready for copying and taking home on a pen drive, and I can finally get my machines patched and up to date again. Granted, I'll have to learn a little bit about QCHAINing patches together (I'm not rebooting 242 times for anyone!) but that won't be too hard with a little bit of VBScript on the side, I reckon!

As a side note, I noticed that WUD can easily be used for downloading more than just Windows updates - And I'll be keeping it in my toolbox as a utility for future downloading applications. A brief test last night showed that it works quite well for grabbing World of Warcraft patch downloaders, and I've already thought of a couple of other potential uses that it could serve...Like batch-downloading files over the local network from a Linux client that just doesn't seem to like Samba one little bit! B)

Anyhow...I did notice that the patch update list on the WUD site seemed a bit out of date when I got to it (Last update being in March) and of course I wanted all the latest updates that I could find on top...So I spent a few hours looking up all of the later patches/KB articles that my friend's PC had updated on since then, added them all to the custom patch list that I was creating to grab the patches that I needed (I was after both SP2 and SP3), and I now have a rolled-together update list - Known fully valid (I fixed the broken links) - that seems to be as up to date and current as possible. And I did everything by hand as I didn't feel like trying to script it. By the Gods, did that hurt! :-O

I see there's a sub-forum for user submitted patch update lists in this forum, so - Assuming that new users like I have upload/attach rights - I'll upload my custom list there shortly, with a regular WUD style list for SP3 following soon afterwards.

Edit: As promised, my custom UL (With every update from release of Service Pack 2 to 2010-10-11 inclusive) can be found Here. B)

Farewell for now...And many thanks once again for creating/releasing such a valuable and adaptable utility! :thumbup

+++ DieselDragon +++

Edited by DieselDragon

Granted, I'll have to learn a little bit about QCHAINing patches together (I'm not rebooting 242 times for anyone!) but that won't be too hard with a little bit of VBScript on the side, I reckon!

Feel free to try this:

As well there are a number of scripts out there which do pretty much the same thing.