Legitimacy?

robertplant

Yeah, I know its says I run W7 beneath my screen name, but I also have a PC with XP64-bit.

Anyhow, a brief search revealed there are copies of XP all over the place with a price range from $69 to $139.

But are these copies legitimate?

Is there any way to determine just what you're getting for the money being spent?

Yeah, I know its says I run W7 beneath my screen name, but I also have a PC with XP64-bit.

Anyhow, a brief search revealed there are copies of XP all over the place with a price range from $69 to $139.

But are these copies legitimate?

Is there any way to determine just what you're getting for the money being spent?

Please give some links to "the place".

I know one place where Licenses are Legitimate for sure:

http://www.microsoft.com/

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/All-Software/category/801

(but where XP is NOT sold anymore :()

But there are quite a few "Wholesale retailers".

You can contact Microsoft and ascertain directly if they are "Microsoft Partners" or not. :ph34r:

But with a little fantasy you can check yourself.

Just as an example, how come that this:

hxxp://topoemsoftware.net/info/about/

is registered (instead of Stamford, Connecticut) :w00t: to an address in Saint Peterburg :angel

http://whois.domaintools.com/topoemsoftware.net

Maybe it's a multinational.....:whistle:

jaclaz

It all depends on what type of media it is. As an example, third parties are not allowed to sell OEM Recovery Discs (yet they do) without a computer purchase. They are not allowed to sell OEM/Disty CDs (yet they do) without a hardware purchase.

However, Retail media should be just fine. The reason you may see lower prices on Retail media is if they are EOL (end of life) or no longer being stocked by the distributor. You may also see lower prices on SP2/b media as compared to SP3 media.

The real problem is that some websites that sell OSes do not use the real picture, but a stock photo. I never buy anything with a stock photo unless I have a history with them. Also, they do not list the part numbers on the media. Some Windows media do not come with COAs and some do! This would be helpful information. Or let's say (for example) you already have a COA but need the media. Well, the part number on the COA needs to match certain part numbers on the media. This is more true for XP and older OSes, Vista and 7 are a little better since you can install those without a product key and just call the Activation Center.

Oddly enough, I found one website selling XP media that is listed as "refurbished"... :blink:

The real problem is that some websites that sell OSes do not use the real picture, but a stock photo. I never buy anything with a stock photo unless I have a history with them. Also, they do not list the part numbers on the media. Some Windows media do not come with COAs and some do! This would be helpful information. Or let's say (for example) you already have a COA but need the media. Well, the part number on the COA needs to match certain part numbers on the media. This is more true for XP and older OSes, Vista and 7 are a little better since you can install those without a product key and just call the Activation Center.

Well, this doesn't apply for the mentioned example site, from their Terms & Conditions:

Information on the software and other important issues:

2.1 All software products that we sell are downloadable only 2.2 You will be able to download software from special download area which will be created after a successful order;

2.3 The software we sell is packed into archives, which contain FULL BACKUP COPIES of original licensed software which have .zip format (to open them You need WinZip software);

2.4 The software is in the English language only!

2.5 Software cannot be registered on-line due to certain limitations;

2.6 You will not be able to receive any printed license confirmation;

2.7 You will not receive any CD/DVD, we neither sell CD`s nor ship them;

2.8 Some software includes ISO files (iso - CD image ) . You need to burn this type of files on CD/DVD and start a setup from a CD. You will get all directions for burning CDs/DVDs;

2.9 You reserve the right to exchange the software (no more than 2 times) provided that you have already asked for help and the problem with the purchase has not been solved by the Support team.

You are GUARANTEED you won't ever get ANYTHING on paper or on actual CD media, and that the software CANNOT be registered online (due to certain limitations ;)). :angel

jaclaz

Yeah, the only places I've ever seen a vendor that did "download' of purchased software is Microsoft, an authorized reseller, and... Microsoft (and both a reseller and Microsoft who would offer downloadable content also offer you a way to acquire product media, even if for a fee - keep that in mind). So, if you're unsure, ask Microsoft - in general, every singe vendor I've found with one of those "software will be download-only after sale" has been a scam. Microsoft requires all the materials for a "full install" - including the boxing materials (even if that's just shrink-wrap), a COA sticker with the product key, and the media itself, for the sale of Windows to be considered "legal" (and it must also not be the OEM copy of Windows that shipped with a new PC except for certain countries in the EU economic zone, who have made this practice legal within their country's borders).

If the software is download-only the vendor would have to be able to provide you a way to acquire a *real* COA sticker with purchase, media, and the shrink wrap or box it came in. If, however, there's no COA, technically it's not a legal copy of Windows nor a legal purchase (and the converse is true - a COA sticker sold without installation media is technically illegal as well in most countries).

Basically, this smells illegal - I would suggest that Microsoft be contacted to see if this vendor is an authorized reseller for your region (sales will know, as will legal). If they are, then you should be good to go (and they should be mailing you a CD, a COA sticker, and boxing). Given 2.6 says you will receive no printed license information, 2.7 of their site explicitly says they don't ship CDs, and 2.5 says the software cannot be registered online.... I smell a scam, as two of the three of these things are required for the sale of a *full* Windows license to be considered a legal sale and the license transferred from one person or a retailer to another (again, ignoring replacement media - but in that case, you'd still be receiving *media* and not a download).

XP EULA PDF that shows what is required to transfer or sell an existing license (point #4)

What parts of the software and packaging transfer from retailer to customer constitutes a legal sale of a new Windows license

Information on the COA itself, and what it means as part of a Windows license sale or transfer