Is my motherboard semi-brick?

cat2115

could my motherboard be damaged? the reason i said that is because every time if i unplug the dvi cable off then few minute later plug it back in, and power on, my pc start to boot but black screen (no POST) then a few second later it turn off itself then turn on itself again. from there on i see no post or any signal to monitor, even mouse and keyboard had no light . then i manually power off, few second later power on. i had to do it like 2 or 3 times until i see POST on the monitor and mouse/keyboard light led up. it an onboard video card. i even try pci express x16 and still the same as i mention above.

any idea?

================================================== ======

My system:

Intel DG45ID

Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.40Ghz 2.39Ghz

8Gb (7.90Gb usage) - DDR2-800 PC-6400

WD500 ATA (system)

WD1Tb ATA (storage only)

window 7 ultimate x64

================================================== =======

maybe it is the motherboard because i did that and still the same.

It does sond a lot like the PSU.

HOW did you test it?

jaclaz

it's a brand new psu. i even try a different psu and it's the same. i was watching this youtube on building pc, and they mention about screwing mb to case. there's a metallic and non metallic hold. mayb i screw it on the non metallic and cause it be have stat???

I don't think so but I've seen strange things before indeed. Take the components out of the case and test them on some cardboard or paper or so.

It just sounds like bad capacitors inside the PSU or on the motherboard, mostly on the 12V line.

I don't think so but I've seen strange things before indeed. Take the components out of the case and test them on some cardboard or paper or so.

It just sounds like bad capacitors inside the PSU or on the motherboard, mostly on the 12V line.

thx. if it's a bad capacitor then i guess i can't do anything beside life with it. i dont know how to replace capacitors or where it's on the mb. any idea where it's on mb?

thx. if it's a bad capacitor then i guess i can't do anything beside life with it. i dont know how to replace capacitors or where it's on the mb. any idea where it's on mb?

Hard to say, but check out this picture I borrowed from another site:

main-big.jpg

See the 3 under the VGA/DVI connector, they are taller than the metal colored ones. Most of the time they pop there but also next to the chipset cooler.

You could try a PCI-E video card ;).

Finally, someone posted about a board I've actually used. Things to try:

- try using less RAM (for test) like 4GB

- run memtest

- try take out the memory and then turn on PC. It should beep. If it doesn't...

- reseat the CPU

I've had a semi-brick motherboard, this one doesn't sound so bad.

Finally, someone posted about a board I've actually used. Things to try:

- try using less RAM (for test) like 4GB

- run memtest

- try take out the memory and then turn on PC. It should beep. If it doesn't...

- reseat the CPU

I've had a semi-brick motherboard, this one doesn't sound so bad.

thank you all.

@ Tripredacus: i used to have 4gb installed and it's the same issue.

@PuntoMX: i also use pci 16 express and it's the same issue as if i were to use onboard. i even try dvi and vga plug still the same problem.