KernelEx is causing me problems!

frogman

frogman, unfortunately I'm not near a PC running Win98 now, but I believe to install it you have to download the off-line installer, double click it, leave the error message on the screen, go find the files it extracted in the Windows/Temp folder and run it from there. If you can't figure it out, I'm sure someone will give you more detail.

I recommend emptying your temp folder first, to make sure you can easily find the contents extracted from the setup file.

This was discussed on this forum earlier, though I don't remember a solution. May be this page will help.

Edit:

I'm recalling something about renaming java nextgen plugin in the installed java binaries to force browser to load old plugin, but I don't remember exactly.

Edited by M()zart

frogman, unfortunately I'm not near a PC running Win98 now, but I believe to install it you have to download the off-line installer, double click it, leave the error message on the screen, go find the files it extracted in the Windows/Temp folder and run it from there. If you can't figure it out, I'm sure someone will give you more detail.

I recommend emptying your temp folder first, to make sure you can easily find the contents extracted from the setup file.

I tried your suggestion, but when I thought it was about to install I get this message, and clicking retry doesn't help.

error110.jpg

I tried your suggestion, but when I thought it was about to install I get this message, and clicking retry doesn't help.

Do the same thing again, but before checking the temp folder, check the Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22 folder and see if Data1.cab is there, if it is ***COPY*** (don't cut) it to the temp folder and run the msi.

If it's not there, download this and copy it to the TEMP folder, then launch the MSI:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JWS5GD9Z

Edited by Steven W

Do the same thing again, but before checking the temp folder, check the Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22 folder and see if Data1.cab is there, if it is ***COPY*** (don't cut) it to the temp folder and run the msi.

I am confused as there is no search or explore option.

Edited by frogman

It said also that your file had an invalid signature.

I cut instead of copy, this time it worked, now I am about to see if it works to play Java using Firefox.

Edited by frogman

Right, I have the Java 6 update 22 installed, but when I try and test to see which Java is installed using the Java site I get 2 occasions of an MS DOS box with a black screen, and nothing happens.

Even when I try the yahoo pool, the same thing occurs.

So it looks like the problem is either that Java doesn't work with Firefox 3.6, or it is a KernelEx issue.

Right, I have the Java 6 update 22 installed, but when I try and test to see which Java is installed using the Java site I get 2 occasions of an MS DOS box with a black screen, and nothing happens.

Even when I try the yahoo pool, the same thing occurs.

So it looks like the problem is either that Java doesn't work with Firefox 3.6, or it is a KernelEx issue.

That version checking site won't work, along with a few others. Try a site that you normally use Java for, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edit: I don't know about Yahoo Pool, but it works for all the sites I use Java for.

Edited by Steven W

Let me explain this little bit,

FF 3.6.X *requires* the Next gen Java Plugin to work.

If you absolutely can't get it to function you'll probably want to consider installing FF 3.5.15:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

(It's still being updated despite what that page says, I believe this is due to a delay in FF 4 being released)

FF 3.5.X does not require that next-gen plugin, so to disable it (for Java 6_21 and above) follow the advice here:

My workaround:

Renaming the "C:\Programs\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin" directory to maybe "C:\Programs\Java\jre6\bin\damnnew_plugin"

Then Firefox will only find the classic Java Plugin.

Of course you could pick another name for the folder/directory.

BTW, labeling this a KernelEx problem isn't exactly fair, neither Xeno86 nor Tihiy promised everything would function perfectly.

Edited by Steven W

Let me explain this little bit,

FF 3.6.X *requires* the Next gen Java Plugin to work.

If you absolutely can't get it to function you'll probably want to consider installing FF 3.5.15:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

(It's still being updated despite what that page says, I believe this is due to a delay in FF 4 being released)

FF 3.5.X does not require that next-gen plugin, so to disable it (for Java 6_21 and above) follow the advice here:

My workaround:

Renaming the "C:\Programs\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin" directory to maybe "C:\Programs\Java\jre6\bin\damnnew_plugin"

Then Firefox will only find the classic Java Plugin.

Of course you could pick another name for the folder/directory.

BTW, labeling this a KernelEx problem isn't exactly fair, neither Xeno86 nor Tihiy promised everything would function perfectly.

I simply labeled it as the problem only began since I installed KernelEx.

I've had enough now with this, all methods I have tried, and Runtime simply is not compatible with FF 3.6.

I'm not trying to bash you over the head, frogman.

Have you tried installing FF 3.5.15, and disabling the Next-gen Java plugin? You should be able to disable it through the Java in the Control Panel, but it was broken it Java 6_21. I am assuming that it's still broken in 6_22. If it is still broken following the advice I'm pointing to above about renaming the folder.

If that doesn't work then try an older version of Java with FF 3.5.15.

The newest version is not completely broken, it functions well enough for my purposes (mostly a few chat apps using Java). Just pointing this out for the benefit of anyone else looking into KernelEx/ newer versions of Java.

The larger point I'm trying to make is you have options.

I'm not trying to bash you over the head, frogman.

Have you tried installing FF 3.5.15, and disabling the Next-gen Java plugin? You should be able to disable it through the Java in the Control Panel, but it was broken it Java 6_21. I am assuming that it's still broken in 6_22. If it is still broken following the advice I'm pointing to above about renaming the folder.

If that doesn't work then try an older version of Java with FF 3.5.15.

The newest version is not completely broken, it functions well enough for my purposes (mostly a few chat apps using Java). Just pointing this out for the benefit of anyone else looking into KernelEx/ newer versions of Java.

The larger point I'm trying to make is you have options.

I tried the older version of Firefox, but it kind of had a bug, in that when I was playing pool and if I dragged the cue back far enough it would then bring up this long menu which was really annoying.

I am now back with Firefox 3.6.12 and if I need to play pool or need Java I just use I.E6

Thanks for your help.