Some questions on the use of nLite

ravisunny2

1. Ho do I apply the audio patch file?

2. Can we include the pre SP3 updates/hotfixes, after Integrating SP3?

3. In Driver Integration, how do I handle the case when there are inf files in multiple directories/subdirectories ?

ravisunny2,

1. Don't have a clue what the audio patch is.
  2. Yes. No.
  3. Point to each .inf file you need and include it.

Please read the guides on the nLite web site and the guide in the Sticky area above. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

john, I would say 2 is a no. SP2 updates shouldn't be added to SP3 as SP3 already contains them.

Why do you say yes?

-X-, you are absolutely correct! I misread the 'pre' as 'post'. will edit it if I can get the forum to respond. Thanks for correcting me. Enjoy, John.

john, I would say 2 is a no. SP2 updates shouldn't be added to SP3 as SP3 already contains them

Which shows the question makes no sense and should probably have been "post" SP3. Then yes.

-3. that's what "insert multiple driver folder" is for. Remove drivers for other Windows versions that are placed in the list after that action.

@johnc

The audio patch required to install the Realtek WDM is kb888111xpsp2. It came with the MBD CD.

@-X-, Ponch

The last time I did a fresh install (around Aug 2010) from the XP-SP2 CD, Windows Update first offered 76 updates (including IE8), and then offered SP3.

That is why I called them the pre-SP3 updates.

So SP3 already has those pre-SP3 updates ?

The audio patch required to install the Realtek WDM is kb888111xpsp2. It came with the MBD CD.

Already included in SP3. I also use Realtek audio, so I have tested it more than once.

So SP3 already has those pre-SP3 updates ?

Absolutely

Edit: If you install IE8 before SP3, then you won't be able to uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs. Just FYI.

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

This is interesting. I can't test it, as I slipstreamed IE8 into the nLite CD along with SP3, but I found the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719. Why not try it? Click the Remove button and see what the next step is; will it report an error or will it let you proceed to a next step. Of course, you can always click Cancel ;)

Cheers