Video converter recommendations ?

SAE140

I'm trying to convert the .vob files from a DVD (Girl from Rio - Hugh Laurie & Vanessa Nunes) into .avi format. The DVD has 2 audio tracks - Portugese (default) and English.

I've tried using Yasa Video Converter, which does a good job of conversion - except it deletes the English soundtrack in the process !

Before contacting them for advice - I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a Win9X compatible converter which either preserves the sound tracks, or (ideally) would allow the English audio track to be selected as default.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure but maybe you can do it with Avidemux (2.5.3) but in that case you need to install KernelEx.

Thanks for the suggestion, but 2.5.3 reports a page fault and 2.5.4 reports one of those "something-or-other is missing in Page Export whatever ..." messages - so no luck. But thanks.

I've tried VLC streaming - but that doesn't work either. Weird.

I'm not sure but maybe you can do it with Avidemux (2.5.3) but in that case you need to install KernelEx.

Thanks for the suggestion, but 2.5.3 reports a page fault and 2.5.4 reports one of those "something-or-other is missing in Page Export whatever ..." messages - so no luck. But thanks.

I've tried VLC streaming - but that doesn't work either. Weird.

At least for me, VLC is cranky with certain VOB files (Ver 0.86i)

The way I got around it, was to play it VLC while saving the stream

to a Microsoft .asf format. That has worked everytime. Then I use

Oxelon Media converter to get where I wanna go.

http://www.oxelon.com/media_converter.html

Kinda like going around your elbow to get to your thumb,

but it works and produces good clean files.

Jake

Not sure if everything works under Windows 98, but I did the following:

1. Converted DVD to avi with some converter that did not save second audio stream

2. Got AC3 file of this stream with SmartRipper as it is written here: http://www.glump.net/howto/audio_only_dvd_ripping_guide (item 3)

3. Used VirtualDubMod to add the this track as the second audio stream to the avi with direct stream copy option.

Both SmartRipper and VirtualDubMod are relatively old apps, so I think they would work under Windows 98.

SmartRipper is a bit buggy, so to make the "Demux to extra file" option available you may need to clear check boxes for all streams first and than select the stream you need.

Have you installed KernelEx?

Avidemux 2.5.4 indeed doesn't work even with the latest version (4.5 RC 5) of KEx but I have no problem with Avidemux 2.5.3 - I'm using it for some time.

Edited by rainyd