Win 7 x64 BSOD

BigDaddy

About twice a week a receive a BSOD when the system is NOT under load but while doing browsing or listening to music, etc.

It has never BSODed when playing games.

Since I have no idea where to even begin I give you the minidumps if they will be of asistance:

http://www.2shared.com/file/R3YwLNf5/Minidump.html

Edited by BigDaddy

About twice a week a receive a BSOD when the system is NOT under load but while doing browsing or listening to music, etc.

It has never BSODed when playing games.

Since I have no idea where to even begin I give you the minidumps if they will be of asistance:

http://www.2shared.com/file/R3YwLNf5/Minidump.html

BigDaddy, I cannot help with your minidumps but there are several here who can. It would be very useful to have more information. What version of W7 are you running, have you done an Unattended install (removed components...etc)? What is your update level and do you have a Service Pack installed? What is the BSOD code. If you computer reboots without giving you time to see the code, please go to Computer-Properties-Advanced System Settings-Startup and Recovery-Settings and uncheck Automatically Restart. Enjoy, John.

It's just a normal Win7 x64 installed from the official CD and with all updates installed on a brand new PC.

I do not have a service pack since it's not out yet.

Don't know about the BSOD code, because the system is set to restart. Will change it to not restart and give you the code when the BSOD comes back.

In the meantime if someone could look at the minidumps I would be very grateful.

Edited by BigDaddy

This error is indicating a hardware error, as reported by Processor 0:

1: kd> !errrec fffffa80055528f8
===============================================================================
Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descriptor @ fffffa8005552a08
Section @ fffffa8005552b90
Offset : 664
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000
Severity : Fatal

Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)

1: kd> !cpuinfo
CP F/M/S Manufacturer MHz PRCB Signature MSR 8B Signature Features
1 16,5,3 AuthenticAMD 3013 0000000000000000 203b7dfe

It looks like perhaps that is an AMD Athlon II X3 440 Processor perhaps? It's the only thing I can find with that Family, Model, and Stepping for AMD, and it reports as a 3GHz part, but yours reports at 3.13GHz. Anyway, assuming you aren't overclocking, that means it's potentially a RAM or CPU/motherboard issue. It would be best to test your RAM, and assuming that produces no errors on as many passes as possible, you are potentially looking at an overclocking issue or perhaps just a bad CPU or cooling solution. In any case, the hardware is reporting a fatal error, which causes windows to bugcheck (on purpose) to let you know that you have a hardware problem.

BigDaddy, cluberti has nailed the problem, I think. Are you over clocking your CPU, Memory, etc? Are you trying to run the 4th core of your X3? I think cluberti misread your dump for CPU speed. It is 3.013 GHz, not 3.13 GHz, so maybe that is just the accuracy of the clocks/clock measuring systems. There are several good things to run for testing, if you are not familiar. I run HyperPi (multiple copies of SuperPi), Prime95, MemTest86 and OCCT. If errors occur on any of these, then you need to determine the source, not ignore them. All the programs are free and can be found via a search. Enjoy, John.

BigDaddy, cluberti has nailed the problem, I think. Are you over clocking your CPU, Memory, etc? Are you trying to run the 4th core of your X3? I think cluberti misread your dump for CPU speed. It is 3.013 GHz, not 3.13 GHz, so maybe that is just the accuracy of the clocks/clock measuring systems. There are several good things to run for testing, if you are not familiar. I run HyperPi (multiple copies of SuperPi), Prime95, MemTest86 and OCCT. If errors occur on any of these, then you need to determine the source, not ignore them. All the programs are free and can be found via a search. Enjoy, John.

Everything is run @ stock. And the CPU is not an X3 but it is an Athlon II X4 640 3GHz.

Will run those stress tests you mention.

Thus far I ran OCCT, Intel Burn Test, HyperPi set at 32M. Each was run for 8hour. Everything was without error.

Memtest86+ will be a bit tricky since I am attending to this PC via remote desktop.

If all the test were successful what are the chances that MemTest86+ will throw an eror?

Thus far I ran OCCT, Intel Burn Test, HyperPi set at 32M. Each was run for 8hour. Everything was without error.

Memtest86+ will be a bit tricky since I am attending to this PC via remote desktop.

If all the test were successful what are the chances that MemTest86+ will throw an eror?

BigDaddy, I cannot say if your MemTest will fail. I suppose if it really is a memory problem perhaps only MemTest will find it. I do think the others could also. I think there is a version of MemTest that runs under Windows (never used it). It cannot test all of memory, of course, due to the presence of Windows. Please be sure to try Prime95. It was the one that exposed a HW problem on my XP x64 machine. Is there a chance that the machine is dirty inside? I have seen (and heard) machines that were full of dust and cat hair - burned up the CPU. Some BIOS codes will show various temperatures in the machine. If someone could look, it might prove useful. Did you run HyprPi against all four cores at the same time? Good luck, John.

BigDaddy, I cannot say if your MemTest will fail. I suppose if it really is a memory problem perhaps only MemTest will find it. I do think the others could also. I think there is a version of MemTest that runs under Windows (never used it). It cannot test all of memory, of course, due to the presence of Windows. Please be sure to try Prime95. It was the one that exposed a HW problem on my XP x64 machine. Is there a chance that the machine is dirty inside? I have seen (and heard) machines that were full of dust and cat hair - burned up the CPU. Some BIOS codes will show various temperatures in the machine. If someone could look, it might prove useful. Did you run HyprPi against all four cores at the same time? Good luck, John.

machine is brand new. I assembled it. HyperPi was run against all 4 cores naturally. Prime95 also did not return an error. Thus far I guess the only thing is if MEMTEST86+ will show an error. But I am more leaning towards Cool'n Quiet. Because this only occurs when the CPU is idle

machine is brand new. I assembled it. HyperPi was run against all 4 cores naturally. Prime95 also did not return an error. Thus far I guess the only thing is if MEMTEST86+ will show an error. But I am more leaning towards Cool'n Quiet. Because this only occurs when the CPU is idle

BigDaddy, does your main board offer a monitor utility? If so, how are the temperatures and voltages? I have never run Cool'n Quiet, but would agree with you, that all else sounding good, is a good candidate. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: If you got your Cool'n Quiet from your MB vendor, you might consider getting the latest from AMD. That is, if you want to continue to run it.

Edited by johnhc

JOHNC

HWMONITOR all temps are good. They better be I assembled the PC :)

Cool'n Quiet is just an option in BIOS. And the rest Win 7 does if the profile is set to Power On Demand. So no need for buggy third party software.

Edited by BigDaddy

JOHNC

HWMONITOR all temps are good. They better be I assembled the PC :)

Cool'n Quiet is just an option in BIOS. And the rest Win 7 does if the profile is set to Power On Demand. So no need for buggy third party software.

BigDaddy, in my XP x64 system I DLed and installed a "driver" from AMD for C'nQ. I never used it. You are telling me, correctly, that W7 has this support in natively. I suspect it still comes from AMD and there may well be a later version available. I would not think you would ever need third part SW, buggy or otherwise. I tried to find W7 support for C'nQ on the AMD site but failed. I sent them an e-mail request to get their site working again and will let you know what, if anything, I learn. Please post the BSOD stop code if the error occurs again. I do think you are on to something and it probably makes sense that a C'nQ problem would more likely lead to your crash than a memory problem. Enjoy, John.