Slipstream W7 Sp1 RC - Dism ?

it displays under installed updates if it is done correctly.

MagicAndre1981, thanks for your reply. When SP1 Beta was installed, it did show in Installed Updates. I removed it and installed SP1 RC and now I do not see it at all. In the link I provided above, it is indicated that if Disk Cleanup Wizard was run that the files necessary to remove SP1 RC may have been removed. I have not run Disk Cleanup, but have run MyDefrag. I may try to remove SP1 RC at the Command Prompt before I reinstall my system. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Followed all the instructions - can't think of anything I did not do correctly.

Edited by johnhc

After this process, I ended up with a folder of about 1.76 GB (I run x64 version of W7). To reduce the size I converted it into a .cab file of about 543 MB. I used TugZip for this but also tried IZArc. IZARC did not seem to want to fnish and when I ran DISM against the .cab file, it failed with a missing file error. The TugZip file worked fine and installed on my VMware Player system. If you are interesting in keeping a smaller SP1RC, this is an option to consider.

BTW, if anyone has a cabinet creating utility to recommend, I would be interested. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a .cmd file over at mdl and I am on a full install of sp1 now

Did anyone ever get it to work removing other languages and how?

maxXPsoft, I can't find your .cmd file on MDL. Do you use a different UserID there? How about a link to your post?

I am not sure what you mean about removing other languages. I followed the instructions in the MDL thread (searching for en-us, etc) and installed SP1 with no problems. It looks like to me that I have removed all languages other than neutral and en-us. Enjoy, John.

I posted a .cmd file over at mdl and I am on a full install of sp1 now

Did anyone ever get it to work removing other languages and how?

maxXPsoft, I can't find your .cmd file on MDL. Do you use a different UserID there? How about a link to your post?

I am not sure what you mean about removing other languages. I followed the instructions in the MDL thread (searching for en-us, etc) and installed SP1 with no problems. It looks like to me that I have removed all languages other than neutral and en-us. Enjoy, John.

Here is Link to sp1rc.cmd

• 2 weeks later...

After this process, I ended up with a folder of about 1.76 GB (I run x64 version of W7). To reduce the size I converted it into a .cab file of about 543 MB. I used TugZip for this but also tried IZArc. IZARC did not seem to want to fnish and when I ran DISM against the .cab file, it failed with a missing file error. The TugZip file worked fine and installed on my VMware Player system. If you are interesting in keeping a smaller SP1RC, this is an option to consider.

BTW, if anyone has a cabinet creating utility to recommend, I would be interested. Enjoy, John.

I do not know what I really tried but the .cab file created by TUGZip does not integrate in DISM (missing file). When I extracted the .cab it contained fewer files and folders than the original. I tried to find another free .cab generator, but failed. ZipGenius also leaves out several files and folders. A simple test case I generated failed to place anything in the .cab file. Inquires to them and a post on the forum has failed to even get a reply. Other free SW crashed or failed other ways. My last try was with a free version of a Pro archiver. It created a .cab file that contained all the files and folders and exactly the same byte count. DISM failed with a strange error code but the log file revealed a hash code miss compare. And surely, for at least this one, the file from the .cab had two bytes different than the original. So, as of now I know of no way to create a .cab file of the SP1 folder (about 1.8 GB). I am continuing to pursue this and will report back if I discover something interesting. Enjoy, John.