Custom Vista Install DVD With Latest Updates

I have a retail copy of Windows Vista Ultimate that I bought a few years ago to use on my desktop. I had to uninstall it and re-install Windows XP because Vista gave me too many headaches. To be honest, I never really gave Vista a chance or had the time to figure things out with that desktop.

Now, I have an HP Pavilion dv9730us Entertainment Notebook PC, that came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit). Unfortunately, it also comes pre-loaded with a lot of junk software that just adds bloat to the notebook. After using Vista for awhile I like it and was thinking about installing my retail copy of Vista Ultimate on the notebook, as a way to avoid installing all of the other junk when I re-install from the HP recovery partition. I just hate having all these unwanted programs being installed and taking up valuable resources and space.

I've heard about creating a disk image for reinstalls, but I would like to create my own custom install dvd(s) if possible.

Here is what I would like to do, if possible.

1. I'd like to create a custom dvd(s) of my retail copy of Vista Ultimate with all the latest Vista updates slipstreamed.

2. I'll also need to implement all the important HP drivers and software for the notebook.

3. I'd like to rip out any unnecessary files to make a leaner and cleaner version of the install.

4. I'd also like to have my custom tweaks implemented during the install.

I have done all the above with my Windows XP machine with no problems, but would like some guidance doing this with the HP notebook.

There is a folder located on the C: drive named SWSETUP. It is over 3 Gigs in size. It's also obvious as to what some of these folders contain, but there are many that I am uncertain of. See screen-shot below.

post-308038-068278600 1288291291_thumb.p

Are all of the drivers and software specific to my HP notebook located in this SWSETUP folder and would I be able to slipstream them on my custom Vista dvd(s)? If so, which folders contain the important drivers/programs and how would I go about slipstreaming them to my custom dvd(s)?

Heck, if any of you think this would be a bad idea I'd like to hear why. I don't have to create a custom dvd - I just figure if I do so I could get better performance from my notebook. I could be very wrong, though. Look at my notebook specs below and tell me if I should avoid Vista Ultimate or not. Home premium (what I'm running now) seems to run great, so, if you think I should stick with Vista Home Premium would my notebook's Vista serial key be okay to use for the custom dvd(s)?

I probably could've wrote all this a little more simpler, but am in a hurry right now and writing all this as the questions pop in my head.

I really appreciate everyones help and look forward to your responses. I'm staying busy lately, but I will get on here and answer any questions when time allows.

By the way, this is my first post here and looks like a great place!

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your time!

Here are my laptop system specs.

Model HP Pavilion dv9730us Entertainment Notebook PC

CPU AMD Turion 64 X2

CPU Speed TL-64(2.20GHz)

CPU L2 Cache 2 x 512KB

Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Graphics GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M

Video Memory Up to 1071MB Total Available Graphics Memory

Hard Drive 250GB RPM 5400rpm

Memory 3GB Max Memory Supported 4GB

• 5 weeks later...

Swsetup folder contains necessary driver and HP software. You should keep it.

Extract all your drivers using a software

Use windowsupdatesdownloader to download windows updates for vista

Use vLite to customize it

Create ISO / Burn to dvd