kms server for Office 2010.CMID troubles.

clivebuckwheat

Hi,

I have a lab of clients with office 2010 installed. It seems the master was created with Office 2010 activated, and also office was not rearmed. This image was deployed to the lab, so now all the stations have the same cmid, so the current client count on my kms never reaches 5 so the auto activations can happen.

Is there a way to delete, remove or regenerate a new cmid for all the stations in my lab, WITHOUT having to re-image them?

Thanks for all the expertise on this forum.

This problem is actually described here, on the Office Deployment Team's blog site, and I found a batch that might help - this should reset your CMID and retry activation with the product key specified against the KMS server specified:

@Echo off
reg query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\OSPPRUNONCE
if %errorlevel%==1 (goto Activate) else (goto Xit)

:Activate
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:<product key here>
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /sethst:<fqdn of KMS host here>
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\ospprearm.exe"
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\OSPPRUNONCE"

:Xit
Exit

Also note your server(s) must be running at least KMS 1.2 for Office 2010 activations to work as well.

I got good new and I got bad news, the good news is My pc's with Windows xp sp3 running Office 2010 are definitely communication with my kms server

If I do the following on every client station activation absolutely works

1. sc start osppsvc

2. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /inpkey:kms key from technet

3. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /sethst:kms host

4. cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

If I do this commands on every station Office 2010 activates without issue.

I seem to be having an issue with the kms server auto discovery, so the process is 0 touch.

I read this post discussing the same issue http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officevolact/thread/b2a24a54-0e36-4bcb-b572-958d7b94241f

Our dns server is unix/linux based so how can we manually check if our srv record is ok?, also what else should I be checking for to make are kms server auto discover our Office 2010 clients and then activate them.

Edited by cluberti
Please stop quoting posts when not necessary. Quotes removed.

Not sure - I've always just followed the deployment guide and it's worked properly. However, you may have to find a way to automate that script if it won't work with your DNS servers properly, which probably isn't that hard to do. Otherwise, you'll have to make sure you specify the KMS host in an msp answer file for Office setup so that it's pre-populated during deployment. Next time, make sure your imaging engineer doesn't even open Office during deployment, as this starts the grace timer (this is is actually something Microsoft specifically mentions NOT to do when deploying Office) ;).

Follow the instructions in the article you found to run an nslookup against your DNS server to see if it responds properly with the correct SRV record and port

Done. It responds with the correct info against the dns but no activation seems to be happening, but before I worry about the auto activations I am having trouble understanding a few issues. Maybe someone can simplify them for me.

Questions, that I am still not understanding the concepts too.

On Server I did the following.

1. i GOT A kms key and installed the office 2010 licensing host on my windows 2008 r2 server, and enter the kms key when prompted, and activated it.

2. I allowed the KMS service through on the firewall.

On the client pc's running Office 2010 I did the following steps

1. Rearmed Office / Cleared the cmid

2. Since Office 2010 was deployed using a MAK key. I entered a kms key from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355.aspx to turn the mak client into a kms client for Office 2010.

3 If I do the following commands on all stations

cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /sethst:kms host

cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act

Office 2010 will activate with out issue. What I am trying to understand is the following concepts to the following things

1. When I check the status of the Office license on the clients running office 2010 it it gives me the last 5 numbers of the serial number I entered from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355.aspx, shouldn't it be the last 5 digits of the office kms key I entered on the server?.

2. How do I check on the kms server how many available licenses I have for Office 2010 available, and how many are in use?

Edited by clivebuckwheat