Netbeui

cure

I have a pair of 98SE installations that have been fully tweaked out with the Kernelex, ME files, and what not. Netbeui, not over TCP, does not want to work on them. I can ping back and forth between them, but each is not even visible to itself in My Network Places. Folders have been shared on each to no avail. I have tried both through an access point and ad-hock. Yes, sharing works just fine with TCP, but for security reasons I wanted to limit the sharing to the non-routable netbeui. Does anyone know whether Netbeui still functions correctly with all the upgrades?

Thanx.

I'm aslo using 98SE2ME + RP9.6 + Kex 4.5 RC4 and using NetBEUI Protocol instead of NetBios over TCP/IP for file sharing purposes,

i have no problem with that.

however in the past i do encountering problem with ADSL modem which also provided a hub capacity (for shared connections). the hub part of that device rejects anything that is not TCP/UDP, so no IPS/IPX or NetBEUI for you,

*rant* most likely the manufacture swallowed the whole 'tcp/ip is enough for all purpose' slogan campaign. */rant*

i hope this was not you case though.

NetBEUI usualy almost doesn't require any configuration, except probabaly you need to have same WORKGROUP in Network' Identification tab.

and set access control to Share-level one.

in some weird case, also check the NetBEUI properties just to make sure that 'File and Printer sharing' were already binded.

I'm aslo using 98SE2ME + RP9.6 + Kex 4.5 RC4 and using NetBEUI Protocol instead of NetBios over TCP/IP for file sharing purposes,

i have no problem with that.

however in the past i do encountering problem with ADSL modem which also provided a hub capacity (for shared connections). the hub part of that device rejects anything that is not TCP/UDP, so no IPS/IPX or NetBEUI for you,

*rant* most likely the manufacture swallowed the whole 'tcp/ip is enough for all purpose' slogan campaign. */rant*

i hope this was not you case though.

NetBEUI usualy almost doesn't require any configuration, except probabaly you need to have same WORKGROUP in Network' Identification tab.

and set access control to Share-level one.

in some weird case, also check the NetBEUI properties just to make sure that 'File and Printer sharing' were already binded.

Ah, the plot thickens . . . . I suspected that it might be the router, so I then tried the ad-hoc, but it didn't work either. Share-level is in effect. I tried just sharing files and not printers. Perhaps adding printer will make a difference? As to the router, it has DD-WRT on it should be amenable, at least with the right settings, to just about anything. Unfortunately my search of DD-WRT and Netbeui yielded nothing that made much sense to me.

Adding printing too but that did not help. I pulled out an old Netgear 614 router and used an unencrypted wireless connection and met with no success.

Just a passing thought, disable the router firewall.

If all else fails, try and find a cat5 crossover cable

and see if you can get working that way first.

Edit; just read in your post where you cannot see

yourself in network neighborhood....

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/net2pc/intro.htm

Jake

Edited by triger49

WARNING: If you have installed the 301453/329128 (ndis.vxd, pppmac.vxd & vip.386) hotfix for Win98 and have the NetBEUI protocol installed, the next time you start up your Win98 computer, it will lock up for good.

MDGx and I are aware of this "conflict" between Win98's NetBEUI protocol and the 301453/329128 patch for Win98.

Quote from MDGx's Software Essentials page in the Windows 98 "Multicast Packets..." Patch section:

BUG: PPPMAC.VXD 4.10.2003 (Win98/98 SP1) + PPPMAC.VXD 4.10.2223 (Win98 SE) lock up Windows ONLY IF NetBEUI protocol installed!

FIX: Reboot into Safe Mode → Control Panel → Network → uninstall NetBEUI protocol → reboot normal.

ONLY IF NetBEUI protocol needed: reinstall PPPMAC.VXD 4.10.2002 (Win98/98 SP1) or PPPMAC.VXD 4.10.2222 (Win98 SE) from Windows Setup CD-ROM or CABs!