how to make Firefox the default browser...?

Jolaes

Does anybody know how to make Firefox 3.5.13 and later versions the default browser for win98 ?

I have Internet Explorer 5 (bundled to Win98) installed and whatever I try, when I launch Firefox I get the "Firefox is not your default browser..." greeting.

I tried this fix by MDGX. This did not solve the issue. In fact, this registry key did not exist on my system at all, I had to add it manually. Maybe additional registry tweaking is necessary ...?

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip4.htm#DEFBROW1

Thanks for all help!

Does anybody know how to make Firefox 3.5.13 and later versions the default browser for win98 ?
The last version of Firefox to work with Win98SE is v2.0.0.20 of 18-Dez-08. You can download it from http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

Firefox v2.0.0.20 still works fine under Win98SE, although under WinXP I have installed the currently latest v3.6.9.

The email counterpart to Firefox is Thunderbird. I am using the last Win98-compatible Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 of 15-Mar-2010 under both Win98 and WinXP. I had briefly used the currently latest Thunderbird v3.1.4 under WinXP, but then reverted to older v2.0.0.24. Newer does not necessarily mean better.

to Multibooter:

I am afraid you got me wrong; I am using Win982ME with KernelEx and Firefox 3.5.13 and my only problem was this annoying message that popped up every time when launching Firefox. But thanks for reminding me of Thunderbird, I neved used that, will give it a try :)

to Tihiy:

you are a real wizard... Cannot imagine where you pulled that trick from but it worked!

THANKS A LOT !

I am using Win982ME with KernelEx ... But thanks for reminding me of Thunderbird, I neved used that, will give it a try :)
Hi Jolaes,

A little off-topic: I had decided to use the Win-98SE compatible Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 under both Win98SE and WinXP so that I could use the same Profile folder under Win98 and WinXP (which unfortunately contains both the emails AND the software settings), to be able to check/access emails under both Win98SE and WinXP. I am not sure what the result would be if I used the same profile/software settings for Thunderbird v2 under Win98SE and Thunderbird v3 under WinXP.

This file-sharing between 2 operating systems increases the risk of cross-infection, so eventually I have to find a better solution.

Since Firefox v3 runs on your Win98SEME with KernelEx, Thunderbird 3 should also run Ok. Thunderbird v3 is a little bit sluggish on my old 700 MHz laptop when compared to v2. I tend to prefer smaller software, even on my dual core desktop, the installer of Thunderbird v2.0.0.24 is 6.83MB, that of v3.1.4 is 8.98MB.

Edited by Multibooter

I have Internet Explorer 5 (bundled to Win98) installed and whatever I try, when I launch Firefox I get the "Firefox is not your default browser..." greeting.

I tried this fix by MDGX. This did not solve the issue. In fact, this registry key did not exist on my system at all, I had to add it manually. Maybe additional registry tweaking is necessary ...?

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip4.htm#DEFBROW1

Thanks for all help!

FYI, my old tip works only with old browsers [not updated in years :-(].

New Firefox editions beginning with 2.0.0.0 employ different methods to force themselves as default browser.

I do have a REG file that I'm using for this purpose, here it is, attached [pls see bottom of this post]...

Note that I removed the actual path to FIREFOX.EXE, this way the REG file can be used on any computer, no matter where FF is installed.

And btw, the path doesn't need to be specified, because whenever one (re)installs FF, it creates this reg key, which means you can use the executable anywhere [REG, BAT, VBS, HTA etc] without its path [default driver letter + folder names used here, may need to change to match your computer if different]:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FIREFOX.EXE]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\FIREFOX.EXE"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox"

Also important...

FF command line for those reg values uses mandatory parameters:

- when browser starts from a web page [.htm, .html, .php, .xhtml, .dhtml, .phtml, etc] or their shortcuts:

FIREFOX.EXE -requestPending -osint -url "%1"

- when browser starts from a URL shortcut [.url]:

FIREFOX.EXE -url "%1"

""

are necessary for LFNs (Long File Names).

Similar thread [intended for Vista/2008/7, but works the same with Win9x OSes]:

HTH

DEF_FFOX.REG

Hi MDGx,

thanks for the tips !

I think there should be a separate "modern browsing" sticky or something like that, where all stuff concerning

moderns browsers (w/o KernelEx), Java, Javascript, Flash etc. could be redirected as these questions rise again and again when a new version comes out. The sticky would need frequent updates, of course.

IMHO these days it is much more important to know the COMBINATION of patches and fixes + the right version of software that work TOGETHER on WIN9X than knowing what is the last version of software that worked on good old vanilla WIN9X...

J.