How to enabled "tabbed" view in Word 2007 ?

msoff20xx

Peter,

I entered "tabbed" in Word Help Search, and reached this page via Microsoft.

It's an add-in feature, available for purchase after a free trial period. Apparently tabbed editing is not an off-the-shelf part of Word 2007.

Hope this helps.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hey BlouBul,

Thanks for the kudos -- but your find is even better!! Not only because it's free ;) , but also because my find came through the MS Office Help, while you had to do some digging to find yours.

Paid or free, this does sound like a pretty cool feature to add; I hate it when I have so many Word windows open that they get telescoped into one single spot in the taskbar, and then I have to go hunting for the one I need.

I wonder how much the add-in would add to the file loading time... :D

Good to hear from you again!

--JorgeA

Yes, it is quite a cool app. Reading through the fine print, it seems that there is a difference between free download and freeware :} I think my link is also only free to try. :blushing:

Anyway, it might still be worth it. It is working well so far... :D

BlouBul,

I couldn't find anything about it being freeware vs. a trial version. I guess that only shows up when you download it and look at the EULA, eh?

There's some confusion as to what it is, exactly. They call it a free download, but on this page they describe it as shareware. A lawyer could argue that the two are not mutually exclusive, but in practical terms when you read "free download" you're not going to be thinking that you might be asked to pay for it.

How long is the trial period, or is it one of those situations where you can use it in a limited-functionality state?

Let me know how it continues to work for you. As for me, I do have .NET Framework 3.5 (though it didn't show up following the instructions they gave), but I couldn't find anything on my PC about VSTOR.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Hi JorgeA

They did not even said so in the EULA, but I was a bit suspicious when it said it can only be used on one computer...

After I installed it, I checked the About tab, and there was the option to register. That took me to the extendoffice website (your link) :wacko:

Nowhere in that site or EULA they mentioned anything about it being a trial or shareware or that I have to pay for it at some future date :realmad:

Anyway, so far so good. will know in a month's time how much functionality will be disabled...

If you download from here: http://indygizmo.com/download-officetab-for-microsoft-word-excel-powerpoint/

it says:

Interested with tabbed office interface? Then download officetab add-in and use it for free to enhance office efficiency. The latest version is v1.22, it can be used in Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007.

with nothing in the EULA about shareware or trials...

The extendoffice website, however, says quite clearly:

After the software free trial period expired, the software is still available, but it will prompt out the Register Windows and most features of the software are not available.

That is a bit confusing, but I guess it will die after 30 days.

Edited by BlouBul