Flash: Version 9 recognize as version 10?

diamant

Does exist a program, that can change version number of files?

Especially I want to change version number 9.0.246.0 of my NPSWF32.dll to 10.0.42.5.

I suppose that some websites check the version number of this file, and that's why I can't see flash content on this websites.

One way is to use a hex editor on NPSWF32.DLL and change the version data.

For my Flash plugin version 9.0.159.0, I substituted "10,0,45,2" for all occurrences of "9,0,159,0" and now at least YouTube works again. I haven't checked for compatibility elsewhere however.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ reports "You have version 10,0,45,2 installed."

Edited by chromatic47

For my Flash plugin version 9.0.159.0, I substituted "10,0,45,2" for all occurrences of "9,0,159,0" and now at least YouTube works again. I haven't checked for compatibility elsewhere however.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ reports "You have version 10,0,45,2 installed."

Good tip! I did this, and the "hack" with the adobe-website did really work. That means, the site reported version 10,0,45,2 :) .

But this hack did unfortunately NOT work with the one site which embedded video(s) I wanted to see:

"Mediathek" of the German TV channel ARD.

There worked no video clip.

(Question: Does any video clip on this site work with your hacked NPSWF32.DLL?)

But I found an additionally hack, that semmingly solved the problem:

I downloaded a little program called Resource-Hacker 3.4.0 (you should get a file reshack.zip while downloading). With this programm I changed the resources "Version Info" of NPSWF32.DLL (which I get by right-clicking on "properties" of NPSWF32.DLL). I substituted all occurences of

9.0.246.0 to 10.0.45.2

r246 to r45

9.0 to 10.0

It seemes that this made the mentioned site (with the embedded videos) working now B) ...

(I will report whether my modified NPSWF32.DLL works stable.)

(Question: Does any video clip on this site work with your hacked NPSWF32.DLL?)

None of the clips I tried worked.

But I found an additionally hack, that semmingly solved the problem:

I downloaded a little program called Resource-Hacker 3.4.0 (you should get a file reshack.zip while downloading). With this programm I changed the resources "Version Info" of NPSWF32.DLL (which I get by right-clicking on "properties" of NPSWF32.DLL). I substituted all occurences of

9.0.246.0 to 10.0.45.2

r246 to r45

9.0 to 10.0

It seemes that this made the mentioned site (with the embedded videos) working now B) ...

(I will report whether my modified NPSWF32.DLL works stable.)

Thanks, good idea. :yes: I already have ResHacker, it's a useful program, you can do all sorts of things with it, modify dialog box sizes, change font sizes (nice for big screen viewing of tiny MS utilities), add/subtract other things.... I used it to make Windows calculator actually visible on 1680x1050 screen. :w00t:

I will do your suggested mods and report back.

UPDATE: I can confirm that this resource hack fixes also Flash Player 9.0.159.0 to work on the Mediathek site, now clips play fine. Using Opera 10.63 browser.

Edited by chromatic47

All isometric patches of the flash players do work. Probably even an yet unexisting version should work, as RLoew suggested in the post cross-quoted below:

I changed those two key values from 9.0.277.0 to 10.0.45.2 (the most current version 10)

The most current version of Flash is 10.1.53.64, can you try it with that version?

I believe it won't work, because "10.1.53.64" has 10 charachters, while both "9.0.277.0" and "10.0.45.2" have 9. This means one can substitute "10.0.45.2" for "9.0.277.0" without occupying any space not intended for that string (i.e.: it's an isometric patch), but cannot do the same with "10.1.53.64", because the latter is one byte too long. I found out, not so long ago, that such a non-isometric patch breaks Flash 7, so I'm quite confident it'd similarly break Flash 10. And, even if I didn't know about the patching of Adobe 7, generally speaking, non-isometric patches are expected to break programs, and usually really do so.

You could always try 10.0.54.1. It has the right number of characters and should pass the Version test as it is an even newer Version (Future).

Now, non-isometric patches, particularly of the internal string begining in WIN, which is not located inside the version info structure, do break flash.

• 2 weeks later...