problem first start PPPoE connection

Cosmin3

Hi.

I made a PPPoE connection using "New connection wizard". Lately I set that it shouldn't ask for name and password again.

The problem is that if I try to start the connection it does nothing (no window, no message). Second time it works. I close the connection and I try again, it connects first time I try. I restart Windows, again the problem.

The problem is not from my ISP and is not from the way I made this connection. I just followed the same steps like in Windows XP. In XP works fine, in 7 is not.

I went to a friend with Windows 7 also. He has the same problem.

Is it a Windows 7 bug or is there something that I can do to fix it...?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Cosmin3

Looks like a service is coming up after you try to make the connection. From the back of my head I don't recall what services are needed to start for PPPoE but I would start with the telephony service.

Just type "services.msc" in Start // Search programs and files and set Telephony to "Automatic".

Thank you.

I set it to automatic and I restarted Windows. Unfortunately still doesn't work...

Later edit: On Google I have found others with the same problem in Windows 7. Their (only) solution was to buy a modem/router that automatically connects to ISP.

Edited by Cosmin3

If it's an external modem a router would be the best option indeed. Use your ISP provided modem; when you have a problem with your line you can still bug your ISP about it.

The problem is I don't have a modem, I connect to ISP without one (PPPoE = point-to-point protocol over Ethernet). I just have a network card to which I connect the cable, that's all.

And I don't see the point buying a modem or a router just to solve this problem, since I have only one computer.

The guys that I mentioned are having more than one, so by this they solved other things as well. Not my case...

I just test it in a Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and it doesn't have this problem :D

Curious...

Anyway, I have another question about PPPoE: in Windows XP when I connect to my ISP I can see a separate icon in tray + those "monitors" are blinking when sending and/or receiving data.

In Windows 7 I have only one icon and one "monitor" for all connections + it's not blinking when sending/receiving data.

How can I set a separate icon and/or how can I set it to "blink" ?

Thank you.