Windows updates failing

kahlil88

I work at a computer repair shop and I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this one machine to update. Most updates will install, but there are two DotNet and ActiveX related updates (KB982525 and KB980195) that continue to fail. I've tried re-installing DotNet 3.5 as well as flushing the software distribution, but no dice. When this happens on XP, I can usually take care of it with Dial-A-Fix, which unfortunately isn't Vista-compatible.

• 4 weeks later...

cluberti,

Sorry if this constitutes a thread hijacking, but it has to do exactly with the subject of the title --

Today, my two Vista computers have repeatedly failed to install this month's Malicious Software Removal Tool (error code 80200053). When I click on "Get help with this error," there is no reference to the actual code number. :angry: Restarting the PCs to try again didn't make any difference.

Is this happening to you (or to anybody else reading this), and what can one do about it? It's a bit concerning that it would be precisely the tool for malicious software that's being prevented from installing.

--JorgeA

I honestly don't know, but until we actually see WUSA log of a manual installation of a problem MSU failing, there's nothing more we can do to figure it out. Complaining it's not working without providing data means you're not as likely to get useful help :) - hence why I've asked for the WUSA /log logs of a failing install.

I honestly don't know, but until we actually see WUSA log of a manual installation of a problem MSU failing, there's nothing more we can do to figure it out. Complaining it's not working without providing data means you're not as likely to get useful help :) - hence why I've asked for the WUSA /log logs of a failing install.

cluberti,

I'll have to research this WUSA log stuff, never heard of the concept before today.

I was mainly hoping to see if you or anybody else had experienced this issue, which occurred with today's MRT update, and if anybody knew anything about it. I guess it's too early in the process to tell, but since both of my Vista PCs had the problem, then it suggests the possibility that it might be a more widespread issue.

--JorgeA

cluberti,

I have no clue as to what I might have done to both machines that would screw up this update, and no clue as to how to go about investigating it. This is the first time an MRT install has failed on either PC.

How does one utilize that WUSA thing? I did a Search, clicked on it, and it fails with some error message about needing the "full path" of the MSU file. Not a very informative message, actually. What do I enter for "update"? How would I find out the correct name of whatever it is that I would put in there??

This is all very frustrating. And Microsoft is absolutely no help with its vague message about Windows Update encountering an "unknown error."

Totally out at sea here. I could use some guidance!

--JorgeA

UPDATE: The WUSA thing may now be moot. The Vista laptop is currently running the Windows Live online safety scanner (first time I've ever tried that); but the Vista tower was unable to download the files for that. :unsure: However, the Vista tower was able to download the MRT manually, and it's running as I write this. I'll report back if it finds anything.

Edited by JorgeA

cluberti (and @Sp0iLedBrAt),

I ran the OneLiveCare scanner by Microsoft on the Vista laptop. It didn't find any malware, but it did perform some repairs on the Registry. Afterward, I was able to download the MRT via the usual (automated-with-permission) method, and it's running as I write this. How about that.

As for the Vista tower, I went to the update page, did a manual download of the MRT, and then was able to run the program. It didn't find anything wrong. But out of curiosity I tried to download it through the automated process, and it still failed. Nor can I get the OneLiveCare installation. Hmm...

But the main crisis seems to have passed. I'll still check out the informative WUSA links you both gave me, for the next time something like this happens. You can never have too many options.

Thanks very much!

--JorgeA

I work at a computer repair shop and I've been tearing my hair out trying to get this one machine to update. Most updates will install, but there are two DotNet and ActiveX related updates (KB982525 and KB980195) that continue to fail. I've tried re-installing DotNet 3.5 as well as flushing the software distribution, but no dice. When this happens on XP, I can usually take care of it with Dial-A-Fix, which unfortunately isn't Vista-compatible.

Hi.. you can try FixWin Utility from the below link

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

hope this will work for you....