Windows XP Help - Drivers, Disks, etc

Murrgh

I'm trying to get a full set of Windows XP Disks, as I reinstall Windows a lot, on various machines.

I know there are Three Types of Windows

• Professional
  • Home
  • Media Center

And for each on there are three types

• Preinstalled
  • Full Retail Version
  • Business

Meaning I will have to get Three Professional, Three Home, and Three Media Center (One of each type for each OS) I know I can't use any of them, as the keys do not work interchangeably, for instance, I know I cannot use a Preinstalled Windows Home Key with a Windows XP Full Retail Disc.

I currently do not have all of the disks, and so how can I go by getting them? I've called Microsoft, and they will not give them to me. I am avoiding from downloading from most websites, because I am not sure as to what people have also put into the files.

So, here are my questions.

1. How Can I get the rest of the Disks?
  2. How can I get the Minor Updates? *I can install Windows onto any computer, and if I did, how can I get the minor updates from the already, up to date, installed copy?
  3. I am using NLite, and I am also using Driver Detective after I install Windows on a Computer, is there a generic ethernet driver for Windows XP? I cannot use Driver Detective unless I have internet connection.
  4. On Nlite, how can I slip Stream a driver? I have gotten a USB Ethernet Cable Adapter (I Prefer Wired Connections) and Integrated it onto my disk, and once installed, the USB Dongle doesn't work.
  5. Is there a way to include programs (Such as AVG or Firefox) into my install disk, using NLite?

Thanks!

Edited by Murrgh

Welcome to MSFN.

Before we answer any of your questions, please confirm that you are not running a business, as nLite is tool licensed for personal use only.

If you ARE running a business, there are other ways to do what nLite does.

No, I am currently just doing it personally, for my self.

But what are other ways to do what nLite does, as this may evolve?

Well, for example, nLite automates what we already know about different things: integrating Service Packs, Hotfixes, Critical Updates, drivers and installation of programs from the XP CD/DVD. All this can be done manually and you have but to look at the sub-forum titles on the main forum page to realize you have the needed info here. From there on, it's a matter of search and you posing specific questions to get specific answers. There are tools to do specific jobs whose EULAs aren't against commercial use.

Cheers

How Can I get the rest of the Disks?

Have you tried ordering what is left from amazon or newegg?

How can I get the Minor Updates? *I can install Windows onto any computer, and if I did, how can I get the minor updates from the already, up to date, installed copy?

You can download updates with update lists (see Windows Updates Downloader) or other lists like this http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html. You can also use an update pack (use search here or visit RyanVM's forum)

I am using NLite, and I am also using Driver Detective after I install Windows on a Computer, is there a generic ethernet driver for Windows XP? I cannot use Driver Detective unless I have internet connection.

Some generic drivers (from different manufacturers) are already present on the XP CD itself. However, one driver cannot serve for all NIC cards.

On Nlite, how can I slipstream a driver? I have gotten a USB Ethernet Cable Adapter (I Prefer Wired Connections) and Integrated it onto my disk, and once installed, the USB Dongle doesn't work.

Make sure the driver is extracted in a folder that contains an .inf file. You can point nLite towards that .inf file and it will copy the necessary files.

Is there a way to include programs (Such as AVG or Firefox) into my install disk, using NLite?

Yes. You can use add-ons (look at the Application Add-ons sub-forum of nLite) or switchless installers to be run from RunOnce or RunOnceEx.