"An error has occurred and nLite needs to shut down"

RightBrain

Hello, all.

I need to do a repair of an XP SP3 system. I have a RAID mirror using the ICH6R controller, and I've tried to use the F6 method to load the driver, but the #$&%*@# floppy drive either created a bad diskette way back when, or the drive itself is no good, but either way - that ain't gonna happen, assuming the next time I try would be the same as the last 18 attempts.

So I'm trying to create a slipstream image that I can preload the RAID driver into. (I've downloaded a fresh version of the driver from Intel.)

I'm starting with an original Windows XP SP2 CD, and applying SP3 via nLite. That, plus adding the textmode driver, plus specifying "prompt repair" in the Unattended section, are the only setup steps or parameters I'm using.

Everything runs fine until the "build ISO image" step - then I get the dreaded "an error has occurred" and it's gone. This happened twice with nLite ver 1.4.9.1. I thought maybe there's an issue with this recently-released version, so I uninstalled, downloaded and installed ver 1.4.8. Same thing.

The machine I'm doing this on is running XP SP3 and is up to date. .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 is installed and AFAIK, also completely up to date. My Last Session.ini file is attached.

Any guidance or enlightenment will be appreciated...

Steve

Cary, North Carolina

Last Session.ini

Edited by RightBrain

Hello, all.

I need to do a repair of an XP SP3 system. I have a RAID mirror using the ICH6R controller, and I've tried to use the F6 method to load the driver, but the #$&%*@# floppy drive either created a bad diskette way back when, or the drive itself is no good, but either way - that ain't gonna happen, assuming the next time I try would be the same as the last 18 attempts.

So I'm trying to create a slipstream image that I can preload the RAID driver into. (I've downloaded a fresh version of the driver from Intel.)

I'm starting with an original Windows XP SP2 CD, and applying SP3 via nLite. That, plus adding the textmode driver, plus specifying "prompt repair" in the Unattended section, are the only setup steps or parameters I'm using.

Everything runs fine until the "build ISO image" step - then I get the dreaded "an error has occurred" and it's gone. This happened twice with nLite ver 1.4.9.1. I thought maybe there's an issue with this recently-released version, so I uninstalled, downloaded and installed ver 1.4.8. Same thing.

The machine I'm doing this on is running XP SP3 and is up to date. .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 is installed and AFAIK, also completely up to date. My Last Session.ini file is attached.

Any guidance or enlightenment will be appreciated...

Steve

Cary, North Carolina

RightBrain, welcome to the forums. Is your computer restarting? If so, then go to My Computer-Properties-Advanced tab-Startup and Recovery-Settings and disable Automatically Restart. This will allow you to see the Stop code - please post it. Sorry but there is just not enough information to speculate what is happening. Some recommendations: go back to 1.4.9.1, always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once. If it is just the ISO build that is failing, you could try an ISO builder/writer such as ImgBurn (what I use). Are you getting any errors running nLite? You should get none running nLite or installing your image. Since changing nLite versions did not help, I would guess it is something with your system - perhaps .NET is damaged. Enjoy, John.

What's your working directory? There are some problems reported when using too long names or putting everything on the desktop. Do you get the Make ISO button or does it crash before that (or when you click it) ?

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Johnhc: the computer isn't crashing, just nLite. And there's no stop code. The error happens, nLite shuts down, and the system goes on like nothing has happened. Every time I run nLite to try to create the image, I direct it toward a newly made, just-for-this-purpose, completely empty folder in the root directory. I got no errors from nLite, nor any indication that anything was even slightly dodgy or wrong.

I've taken your advice and installed ImgBurn, pointed it at the "slipstreamed" folder (which was fully loaded up by nLite before it crashed, I'm hoping), told it to make the CD bootable, pulled the boot image off the original XP install CD, and let it fly.

It ran successfully, and the system loaded properly off it....but the damned RAID drivers apparently aren't there, because the installer didn't find any hard drives. So I'll have to investigate that.

But the process worked, and the original problem is solved. The prime suspect has to be the .NET installation. Funny - I've never had an application fail because that .NET 2.0 was faulty, but there don't seem to be many more suspects, at least at the moment.

Anyway, thanks once again to all for your help. Much appreciated.

Steve

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

Johnhc: the computer isn't crashing, just nLite. And there's no stop code. The error happens, nLite shuts down, and the system goes on like nothing has happened. Every time I run nLite to try to create the image, I direct it toward a newly made, just-for-this-purpose, completely empty folder in the root directory. I got no errors from nLite, nor any indication that anything was even slightly dodgy or wrong.

I've taken your advice and installed ImgBurn, pointed it at the "slipstreamed" folder (which was fully loaded up by nLite before it crashed, I'm hoping), told it to make the CD bootable, pulled the boot image off the original XP install CD, and let it fly.

It ran successfully, and the system loaded properly off it....but the damned RAID drivers apparently aren't there, because the installer didn't find any hard drives. So I'll have to investigate that.

But the process worked, and the original problem is solved. The prime suspect has to be the .NET installation. Funny - I've never had an application fail because that .NET 2.0 was faulty, but there don't seem to be many more suspects, at least at the moment.

Anyway, thanks once again to all for your help. Much appreciated.

Steve

RightBrain, I don't know what kind of RAID you have, but if you will post a link to the driver, we will take a look. Please look in your nLite processed folder for folder NLDRV, probably in your I386 folder. Your driver should be in there. Since you had only one driver, there should be a folder named 001 with your driver files. Let us know what you find. Enjoy, John.

I've figured out the nLite crashing problem. I noticed that it wasn't crashing exactly when I thought - it was happening when it was trying to integrate the RAID driver into the image. So I went back and re-read Intel's instructions, and discovered that I had to add some lines referring to tghe RAID driver to the unattend.txt. Once I did that, the process ran to completion successfully, including burning the image to CD.

The Windows repair install is now running...wish me luck!

Thanks again -