Changing desktop pic in Windows 7 Starter

ExTruckie

Hello all

I have run into a bit of a problem.

My wide wants to change the desktop picture on the net book , running Win7 starter.

The help states that the desktop can not be changed. :angry:

Is there a work around??

There was also a statement that the desktop pic is still locked even if you upgrade the OS to home premium.

If this is the case, I believe that a wipe and load of 7 home premium is required.

Thanks

Try this:

Step by Step:

1. Open regedit (aka registry editor; you can access it from the star menu by typing “regedit” in the search box…)

2. Go to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\” folder and click on it

3. On the right hand side find there are a bunch of entries. Find the key named “wallpaper” and double click on it and put the path of the picture you want as your new wallpaper (example path is “C:\Users\Bob\Pictures\new_wallpaper.jpg”)

4. Right-click on the “Desktop” folder in regedit that you found in step 2 and click Permissions.

5. Click “Advanced”

6. Go to “Owner” tab, highlight your name in the box that says ‘Change owner to’ ( There are only two choices the other is Administrator )… once your user name is highlighted click “OK”

7. Click on “Advanced” again

8. Uncheck the button that reads “Include inheritable permissions from the object’s parent”… click “Remove” when prompted

9. Click “Add”

10. Type “Everyone” and click “OK”

11. Check Allow “Read Control” and click “OK”

12. Click “OK” again

13. Highlight “Everyone” and check to Allow “Read” and click “OK”

14. Restart Computer and enjoy new Wallpaper

Thanks for the reply

After following the steps exactly several times the only thing I managed to do was to get a black desktop.

I tried renaming the default picture and changing the one I wanted to use to it without any success.