REG.EXE or SWREG.EXE for Win98?

North of Watford

Do you have, or know where I can get, versions of either or both of these programs that run in Win98SE? I want one or other for a batch file.

SWReg.exe is a disappointment, as the web page promises that it will work in Win9x, but when tried it actually tells me it is missing something from NT Kernel. I have tried the Microsoft versions 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0. All of them want a WinNt family OS in order to get out of bed.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Jeff

Many thanks to both of you for such swift responses.

Thanks for the info about RegEdit. I hadn't realised that it would work in a batch file. I'll tuck that gen away somewhere safe. What I want to do is find the current version of Java. Alas, I can't see the switches on RegEdit allowing me to do that.

Thanks for the location of the Win98 ResKit. I had been hunting all over the place to find it; talk about hiding something in plain sight! The version of Reg.exe there is 1.03. As I will probably want to use the kit for longer than MS want to make it available, I think I will do the obvious!

A quick gripe in passing at the developers of Java: Why do they make it impossible to redirect the output of the command "java -version" to a text file? But at least I can now find it out, thanks to the help of your good selves.

Jeff

A quick gripe in passing at the developers of Java: Why do they make it impossible to redirect the output of the command "java -version" to a text file?

Probably because java uses "BIOS" not "DOS" services to write... I'ts a PITA, but, then again, it'd be fun if java relied on DOS, wouldn't it? :P

A quick gripe in passing at the developers of Java: Why do they make it impossible to redirect the output of the command "java -version" to a text file?

Probably because java uses "BIOS" not "DOS" services to write... I'ts a PITA, but, then again, it'd be fun if java relied on DOS, wouldn't it? :P

Actually ...

c:\djgpp\bin\redir -eo java -version > gotcha.txt :yes:

Of course, you'll need to go here first : http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

Joe.

:blink: Wow!

Great catch, Joe! :thumbup

It'd never have crossed my mind it might be writing to stderr... :blushing:

Of course, thanks to you, from now on, that'll be part of my hypotheses palette. :yes:

Now, if I may suggest a trivial improvement to your great idea:

c:\djgpp\bin\redir -eo java -version | find "version" > gotcha.txt

• 7 months later...

You can find reg.exe here (you may need to use an ftp browser if your web browser does not want to connect): ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/REGISTRY'>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/REGISTRY

Syntax and examples in WIN98RK.CHM at ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/HELP'>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/HELP btw.

:hello:

Just found there's a little security update to the W98 Resouce Kit : ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win98/

Also, for those wishing to download the RK (etc.), the 'wget' (or 'wget_w32') utility works a treat, recursive syntax is : wget -r ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/

(start near the root directory of your local drive, to limit the overall directory depth created)

Joe.

PS. The version of 'reg.exe' that comes with ResKit 98 is 1.0.3. If you need version 2.* of 'reg.exe' (the command options are significantly changed), you can get version 2.0.0 (for W2000, but runs on W98, at least with KernelEx installed) from : http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/C/20C1B0F7-B803-4BAB-BA2F-27DDCADAD68E/sp4supporttools.exe (open with 7-Zip to get 'support.cab', then extract 'reg.exe' from that).

Edited by jds