Compiling OpenSource-progs for win98se (+KEX etc)

FlippX

Hey,

Since I have no clue about this, I wanted to ask you guys how hard it is to compile some source-code of those open-source programs ?! Isn't this a way to get rid of all the problems??

Actually I never dealt with compiling, I just can try to replace some files with others, if the program is not working...

So is this possible for programs like "Pure Data" for example?!

Btw. How is this done on linux (if not working on win) and is there a free (win-like) version of linux out there, I should install??

Bye

Flipp

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Since I have no clue about this, I wanted to ask you guys how hard it is to compile some source-code of those open-source programs ?! Isn't this a way to get rid of all the problems??

Actually I never dealt with compiling, I just can try to replace some files with others, if the program is not working...

So is this possible for programs like "Pure Data" for example?!

Btw. How is this done on linux (if not working on win) and is there a free (win-like) version of linux out there, I should install??

Bye

Flipp

OK, if the open-source code is linux-oriented, what may work for you is either 'mingw' or 'cygwin'. I've used the latter to a (very) limited extent, so can't say which is best, it will likely depend on the particular application. After you install your development environment, including all the optional packages that you think or know you need (especially gcc or gpc or whatever is applicable for your sources), you typically type the following in a "bash" (or whatever) shell (ie. the mingw or cygwin port of the linux equivalent of the DOS box) :

./configure

make

make install

With luck you'll get your application. If it's cygwin, it will require "cygwin1.dll" to run.

BTW, the last version of cygwin for W9x is 1.5.something (if you exclude the bloated 1.6.6), not sure if 1.7+ will work with KernelEx, but you need to use a W9x version of cygwin to create a W9x version of your selected application anyway. Not sure what the W9x status of 'mingw' is.

Finally, you can also produce DOS versions of linux applications (typically with a bunch of porting work) with a similar development environment called 'djgpp' (www.delorie.com).

Joe.