Windows XP instalation with USB keyboard

KISS

Unlike Windows 7, during the initial installation process of Windows XP, USB connected keyboards are not polled whereas PS2 keyboards are.

In the case where you have a defective keyboard and the only alternative is a USB connected one, you are effectively locked out.

This particular pc is a Toshiba NB100 netbook which were known to have fragile keyboards. I use it as a net top with a USB keyboard.

In trying to resolve this problem I've found various forum discussions but no real solution.

Is there a method whereby USB keyboard drivers can be slipstreamed in?

I've been installing Windows XP using (almost) exclusively using USB keyboards since it came out in 2001.

All XP Editions I've used:

- XP OEM RTM (2001)

- XP retail RTM Professional (2001)

- XP retail RTM Home (2001)

- XP SP1 (+ MSJVM)/SP1a (without MSJVM) (2002)

- XP SP2 (2004)

- XP SP3 (2008)

installed ok on all computers with USB keyboards I've tested this on, without the need for a PS/2 (legacy) keyboard.

The trick is to enable all USB options including legacy, boot, native/real mode, etc [they differ depending on your mobo] in the BIOS setup before installing XP.

That means your motherboard BIOS has to support USB keyboards in native/real/true DOS mode ("smart" BIOSes load a native DOS mode USB driver), and to my knowledge all modern motherboards made in the past 5 years do so.

Also, make sure your keyboard doesn't have a Function lock, F-lock or similar (proprietary) key. If it does, make sure it is *not* enabled/pressed.

FYI:

To make it easier to install XP hands-free (heavily customized) with all available/current updates, drivers, applications + tools, you could use nLite (free) + the MSFN unattended XP setup guide.

More info @ my site, including how to customize some of those steps by hand.

HTH