scottp

Hi,

I have built a PC with the following spec:

Zotac ION Atom 330 1.6Ghz Dual Core with Intergrated PSU and WiFi

4Gb Samsung DDR2

Crucial 2.5" 32Gb SATA SSD

Hitatchi 2.5" 500Gb SATA HDD

LG BluRay RW Drive

As I am using an SSD, I thought it would be a good idea to use nLite on my XP Pro SP2 to intergrate the SP3 and other recent updates.

For some reason, when I format the drive and installation starts, I get an error. It happens when the PC reboots from DOS and into WIndows to do the second part of the installation. I have had 2 different errors, 1 saying something about the lack Virtual Memory and another saying something about the Pagefile (they flash up so quick I don't have time to write them down). I tried using my standard SP2 disc and it carried on the install as normal with no errors.

I have attached a copy of my Last Session to help you solve the problem. I have tried changing lots of things and it just wont get past this stage.

Thanks

I have attached a copy of my Last Session to help you solve the problem
It seems you haven't ;-)

Welcome to MSFN

Edit: this is probably what you're getting http://www.msfn.org/...__1#entry790491 , but Last Session.ini would still be the ground point for us. I also hope you haven't run nLite more than once on the same XP source.

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I didn't get an email notification about this reply so I assumed that I had been ignored.

Had a look through the topic you suggested, a lot of it went right over my head (I am a bit simple when it comes to this stuff, but I am learning!)

I have also worked out how to attach the last session, missed the 'Add to Post' option!

Hope you can help!

Thanks

LAST SESSION.INI

The following updates

D:\nLite\XP Post SP3 Updates\IE8-WindowsXP-KB981332-x86-ENU.exe

D:\nLite\XP Post SP3 Updates\IE8-WindowsXP-KB982632-x86-ENU.exe

D:\nLite\XP Post SP3 Updates\IE8-WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe

D:\nLite\XP Post SP3 Updates\SmartCard_XP_x86.exe

, as well as some updates for WMP (use search and find -X-'s solution) cannot be directly integrated with nLite. Try it without these and see how it works.

Cheers

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I didn't get an email notification about this reply so I assumed that I had been ignored.

Had a look through the topic you suggested, a lot of it went right over my head (I am a bit simple when it comes to this stuff, but I am learning!)

I have also worked out how to attach the last session, missed the 'Add to Post' option!

Hope you can help!

Thanks

LAST SESSION.INI

scottp, you also need to remove IE8 updates since you did not install IE8. There is no automatic notify when a post is replied to here. I have never looked but you may be able to enable some such function. If you have further trouble with your install, then remove all updates and see how it goes. Also, always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only one time doing all your work. Enjoy, John.

Ah, I thought just after I had posted that reply, is there a simple way to explain how to intergrate IE8 and WMP11? I had a look and found it a little confusing! If so, I will try and intergrate that and then see what happens, then, like you say, get rid of the updates if not (something I was trying to avoid as I am using an SSD, so want to limit the amount of writes as much as possible!)

Any other tips would also be great, don't want to screw up this SSD!

Cheers for the fast replies!!

Thanks

Edited by scottp

is there a simple way to explain how to intergrate IE8 and WMP11?
Yes, there are ready-made add-ons for IE8 which you can download (just search the forums or even Google), and there is an integrator for WMP11 here which you run on the XP source BEFORE you start with nLite.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I have taken all your advice on board and have slipstreamed WMP11, SP3 and then added a few programs and hotfixes.

I have attached my lastsession.ini for you to have a look over before I write it to disc and have another go.

For some reason it is still showing all the keyboard and windows languages, but I only selected UK keyboard and english language, any idea why? or is that a list of the ones I have removed?

If you have any other suggestions of what to add/remove, please do! I am not sure if I have the complete list of windows updates?

Thanks so much for your help!

Scott

LAST SESSION.INI

PS. I can't seem to find how to remove Windows Messenger and Games, as I always get rid of these straight away! And if I could remove Windows Movie Maker that would be great, never used it and never plan to!

Also, is there any way I can set the install up so it is optimal for the SSD out of the box, or will I just have to wait until the install?

Edited by scottp

For some reason it is still showing all the keyboard and windows languages, but I only selected UK keyboard and english language, any idea why? or is that a list of the ones I have removed?
Yes.
And if I could remove Windows Movie Maker that would be great, never used it and never plan to!

It's safe to remove, I always do it. It won't even show on Windows Update for updates.

I am not sure if I have the complete list of windows updates?
There are lists on this forum (Windows Updates Downloader) that will download all the updates/hotfixes; if you want the high-priority updates, go here http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

Cheers

Yes.

Perfect!

And if I could remove Windows Movie Maker that would be great, never used it and never plan to!

It's safe to remove, I always do it. It won't even show on Windows Update for updates.

Where do I find it though? I couldn't see the option to remove anywhere. What about Windows Messenger?

I am not sure if I have the complete list of windows updates?
There are lists on this forum (Windows Updates Downloader) that will download all the updates/hotfixes; if you want the high-priority updates, go here http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

Thanks for that, will have a look into it, see what I have missed!

See this nLite picture guide from the same website http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html

You can find Movie Maker in the Components section (pic #12 in the guide), but I'm not sure exactly where (try Multimedia, so that I don't have to fire up nLite and get the exact place where they can be found). Games are found under Components->Applications, but you can't just remove Internet games; it will all have to go. I'm pretty sure Windows Messenger is there as well, just browse carefully through the categories in Components.

You know what this means - you'll have to do everything all over again. This time use the Last Session.ini you are satisfied with and add a few more things, like the updates.

Cheers

Probably not related to your problem but msxml4-KB973685-enu.exe and msxml6-KB973686-enu-x86.exe are not normal updates and probably only work if you turn them into an nLite add-on.

You should test in a virtual machine instead of wasting disks. I prefer VirtualBox but there is also VMware and one from MS but I forget the name right now.

Thanks again. Now I am getting the error 'The file fdc.sys could not be found'

I am wasting so many discs its unreal!

LAST SESSION.INI

Thanks

scottp, I suggest you need a base to work from. After installing a virtual system to test your ISOs, please create one with nLite having no updates or AddOns. Install it on your VM and see if there is a problem. Also consider an Update Pack for all your post SP3 updates. Add in the updates and test. Then add all your AddOns and test. Narrow down the problem if it crops up. The free virtual systems I am aware of are VMware Player, VirtualBox and VirtualPC. Be sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once doing all your work. Enjoy, John.

Yeah I am starting to think the Virtual system will be a good idea. Does it matter that I wont be running it on the system I will be actually installing it on? It doesnt have an OS at all on that PC.

Thanks for the suggestions. No doubt I will be back later asking how to use these VM programs! haha

Cheers